chain links

• Discuss chain links in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; i was wondering since my chain is pretty loose.. how do i take out maybe 2 links..? i know how to get it off the bike and how to remove the master. i... ...
A

AustinKO

chain links post #1
i was wondering since my chain is pretty loose.. how do i take out maybe 2 links..? i know how to get it off the bike and how to remove the master. i just wanna know how to take out a few links.

thanks

BMXDAN

BMXDAN

chain links post #2
use a chain breaker: http://www.danscomp.com/811087.php

that is a cheap version

make sure you dont take out to many links and remember that you can also just pull your wheel back further in the drop out

A

AustinKO

chain links post #3
yea my wheel is about at the end of the dropout. lol how do i take out links

A

AustinKO

chain links post #4
i mean without spending$

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

chain links post #5
sorry, but there is no cheap way do to this right. buy a chain breaker tool or borrow one from a friend. maybe a local bike shop will do it for you for free. a chain tool is a good investment.

some people can do it by a caveman method that involves a punch and a hammer or a rock, but i would not recommend that. if you screw it up (which is likely because it's such a shady way to take a chain apart), you will ruin your chain and have to buy a new chain.

i know you really like to save money. being frugal is a good quality. however, you need to realize that some things just inevitably cost money. i applaud your attempts to do stuff on your own and do it cheap. however, this is the voice of experience:

"fixing" your bike and "making" parts by questionable methods is a really good way to severely injur yourself. if you take a chain apart by some ghetto method, your chain is likely to snap. if your chain snaps at the wrong moment, bad things can happen: (trying to find video of mike hoder? sliding on his face down a 18-set after snapping his chain.

Last edited:
A

AustinKO

chain links post #6
my dad sad he could take a grinder and grind down just the pins and tap it out. but i was thinking that thats istnt the path i want to take. ill keep that in mind.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

chain links post #7
it sounds like your dad wants to sabotage your bike. does he have some sort of big life insurance plan on you? seriously, that sounds like child abuse. don't let him do that to your bike, he will regret it when your chain snaps and you go down on your face in front of a moving car. that's happened to me the last time i had a chain snap on me, the car was a few feet away from KILLING me.

misterbryan

misterbryan

chain links post #8
just buy a chain breaker.

its worth it imo.

BMXM0NSTER

BMXM0NSTER

chain links post #9
u could use a hammer and a nail but it would mess up your chain pretty bad,i say u buy a chain breaker for 5$

A

AustinKO

chain links post #10
any one git any tips and how tos on how to true a wheel? thanks

A

AustinKO

chain links post #12
thanks

johnuk

johnuk

chain links post #13
Last edited: