Cassette hubs

• Discuss Cassette hubs in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; what is so special about Cassette hubs thats makes them more expensive than free coasters? are they worth it or should I just stick with freecoasters? ...
X

XIII

Cassette hubs post #1
what is so special about Cassette hubs thats makes them more expensive than free coasters? are they worth it or should I just stick with freecoasters?

B

bexhill_bmxer

Cassette hubs post #2
cassette hubs are fat because they are better in the long run because you can change the freewheel size and they make the best noise and they are just strong :twisted:

X

XIII

Cassette hubs post #3
oh
thanks

E

evanc

Cassette hubs post #4
The freewheel mechanism is built into the hub so you can change freewheels faster than you can beat off. Plus, it costs no money as well.

X

XIII

Cassette hubs post #5
oh so its basically better matinence?

E

evanc

Cassette hubs post #6
Yes and no. It's a lot easier to maintain, but bent axles are more fragile because the driver mechanism is right on it. On a freewheel, it doesn't touch the axle. I say invest, it was the best choice I ever made.

X

XIII

Cassette hubs post #7
oh

S

sr71racer

Cassette hubs post #8
i just got cassette hubs and the freewheel actually being part of the hubs makes a hell of a difference, its alot more responsive i guess.. i dont know how else to put it

T

TK

Cassette hubs post #9
The main advantage is, that you can run a very small gear in the back (Profile has got a 9t cog) so that you can drive a 25t sprocket and you have the same gear like 44/16 but littly wight!!! :roll:

N

nzbmx

Cassette hubs post #10
The only really bad cassette that I've ever ridden is the specialized dual cassette one. It ended up moving about 2 inces to either side. The Odyssey ones are pretty nice and the Profiles are perfect. Spend a little extra money and get a cassette hub, it's definitely worth it.

X

XIII

Cassette hubs post #11
k thanks

G

go4broke44

Cassette hubs post #12
also, cassettes are perfectly round, so you can run your chain super tight, and not worry about it making the back wheel spin any less, like how freewheels do

E

evanc

Cassette hubs post #13
Nothing's perfect.

J

johntheguru

Cassette hubs post #14
go4broke44 said:
also, cassettes are perfectly round, so you can run your chain super tight, and not worry about it making the back wheel spin any less, like how freewheels do
thats the biggest pile of shit i have ever heard.

they are better than freewheels, but not for that reason.

if you run a tight chain, it creates huge amounts of stress in the chain, the hub bearings, the engagements and pawls, the chainrings AND the bottom bracket bearings.

you don't nkow what your talking about matwe, so keep quiet cos some people may believe you and end up wrecking there bike or hurting themselves because they DID listen to you.

john

G

go4broke44

Cassette hubs post #15
i didnt think it was good that way either, but thats what the dude at the bike shop was telling us, and the kid knows his shit.... so it might just be true... he said you could run your chain tighter with a cassette, cause there isnt any play in it, like with freewheels.

I

infantry43RIDER

Cassette hubs post #16
idk i bet john is right cause he knows his shit.

A

a1a10

Cassette hubs post #17
he is right, u can run it TIGHTER but not TIGHT

A

a1a10

Cassette hubs post #18
woops sry didnt realize how old this topic is!

New Topics