CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP!

• Discuss CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP! in the Cars/Trucks and Motorsports forum in area BMX-Forum Community - more stuff; Well by going by this diagram I wont work... [IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/Dksixpackrider/tach.jpg[/IMG] Red to a SWITCHED ( + )... ...
Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP! post #1
Well by going by this diagram I wont work...

Red to a SWITCHED ( + )
White to a DASH LIGHT ( + )
Green to IGNITION COIL ( - )
Black to a SOLID ENGINE GROUND ( - )

Hooked up everything but only got a flickering reading when I put ton the gas...

Now where might I be going wrong?? The light for the tach comes on, it's getting power... it does trickle when it's all hooked up... if it wasn't working at all wouldn't the needle stay still?

Last edited:
codeblack

codeblack

CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP! post #2
is it connected to your coil correctly ? You'd get a reading like that if your ground wasn't very good - or if you're on the wrong terminal on the coil.

Also check that there is no damage in the wiring..

Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP! post #3
I tried both on the coil, then just grounded it to the CD player ground and the cd player hot... and still to a dash light.

I did that because I know the CD player is switched and only gets power when the key is on and i know the ground is good becuase well the cd player is on....

I cleaned up all connections... so maybe just ta bad tach?

Or by what i just said did i do something really wrong?

J

jfd92

CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP! post #4
what kind of tach is it? gas, boost, rpm oil press etc?

Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP! post #5
Well a tach tells you your RMP and if its to my coil why would it be for oil pressure?

codeblack

codeblack

CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP! post #6
What kinda car is it going into - what brand of tach - and last I checked, certain tachs had 4-6-8 cylinder connectors.. does yours?

Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP! post #7
it's just a cheaper universal tach, can be used with either, four wires, red, black, green, white.

That dia. up there is for Crysler and others, I'm trying tot hook it to a Crysler 360ci, which has a coil and a disributer... the dis. doesn't have a tach bolt. But from looking at other dia. you can still connect to the coil, whichc in my head makes sence...

I've hooked up tachs before on strickly dis. set-up...

I kow you comment will be, "get a real tach!" But well I only want it to get a rough idea where I'm at and what's going on.

codeblack

codeblack

CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP! post #8
Oh I don't care if it's a real tach or not - but it might be one reason it's not working very well..

Any other cars you can try it on? see if the tach is toast or if something is wrong with the connection to the coil?

Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP! post #9
Only other truck is a 07 dodge ram, which I know my dad wont let me try it out on... and frankly would just confuse me.

Okay as a trail if I was to connect the green to coil, then the other ground, and two possitives to a battery should this show me if I am getting a proper reading? Does that make sense?

Like in my head it's the same thing just bipassing the fusebox and indirect connections which maybe causing the problem. I know the coil is a good connection becuase I cleaned it up.

Would that be a bad idea to try out?

codeblack

codeblack

CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP! post #10
I don't see what it'd hurt to play around with how it's all plugged in. The diagram could be wrong, especially if it's a cheapo tach

Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP! post #11
^^
The diagram is from an offroad site. But the set-up and wiring is the same.

Well i'll try that and if not then well i'll take it back.

J

jfd92

CANNOT get a tach to work... HELP! post #12
Well a tach tells you your RMP and if its to my coil why would it be for oil pressure?
oops, i didnt know, i thought a tach was the same thing as guage and i didnt know what it was.

New Topics