Building a BMX - how?

• Discuss Building a BMX - how? in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Ok. as you might know i need a bmx :P, i dunno what i wona do, complete or build. if i was to build my own what parts wud i need and would it cost a... ...
  • Tags bike bikes bmx bmx building parts
C

Casper_Flip

Building a BMX - how? post #1
Ok. as you might know i need a bmx :p, i dunno what i wona do, complete or build. if i was to build my own what parts wud i need and would it cost a bomb of money ???? :D thanx
casper

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Building a BMX - how? post #2
well firstly, if you have no experience of building a bike and you do want a custom ride, you will HAVE to get a bike shop to do it, otherwise to be quite frank, your bike will suck.

will it be more expensive to build a custom bike? most probably, but it really depends on what parts you buy, if you buy reasonably good parts then it will cost quite a lot, but if you buy totally cheap parts, then it may not cost too much.

however if you are just a beginner then you SHOULD get a fully pre-made one as it will be much more reasonably priced, and if you build a high quality custom bike, it is more than likely that you will not need a bike that good at your current riding skill level.

my advice is: get a good pre-made bike and you will be set.

F

federal_rider12

Building a BMX - how? post #3
yup ur a beginner dont buy a custom itll cost u alot or ull get a pile of crap so go buy a good complete at the most u wanna spend $450 american

F

FT rider

Building a BMX - how? post #4
yeh trust me buy a complete, when i was a real beginner i bought this ruption about 1 month before christmas and the entire thing was busted after 2 weeks coz it turns out it was made of aluminium so it bent, so i thought i had seen all the good people had built up their own bikes so i thought it waould be a good start for me to do it too and so over christmas i got all the new parts i thought i needed, problem was i knew hardly anything about bikes then and when i finally actually got the parts i realized there was a sh*tload of stuff that was still needed as i hadnt realized there was so many different sizes of stuff, so basically it sukked coz none of my parts matched, even though i thought i had thought of everything, and it was at least another 6 months until i had my bike working well and only now is it properly dialled in BUYA COMPLETE save your self the hassle

F

federal_rider12

Building a BMX - how? post #5
yup buy a complete and learn bout the parts and how to fix them and/or remove them and understand how to work on ur bike or find a junker and figure it stuff that way

G

geremy

Building a BMX - how? post #6
I bought a mosh brass 4 star complete, which is pretty damn cool, but now I am kinda wishing I had built a custom. I have only been riding for a week or so too!

I would not be at all scared of building it, or how it works...it's just a bicycle! The hardest thing would be the hubs and the headset steering stem area. The hubs you buy pretty much complete, so no biggy, but the headset/steering stem/gyro area could get tricky. If you have a friends bike to compare it to, then no sweat.

Customs cost more, but it's probably worth it...also then you know your bike inside and out, probably know how to fix it and such at that point. I'll just have to console myself by taking mine apart and putting it back together. ;)

C

Casper_Flip

Building a BMX - how? post #7
kool. i get a pre-made, federal, i take it u hav a federal... can u give me sum advice on how ya bike runs and what kinda price u paid 4 it? and sum status?
hehe thanx
casper

A

alliance12

Building a BMX - how? post #8
u do realize that to install the headset u need a bearing press and even still it is not easy b/c if it doesnt go in perfectly straight ur screwed the same with the cranks they were harder to install for me than the headset. everything else is easy as long as you have the right tools and u have to make sure everything works in conjunction with each other. The only mistake i made building my custom was I forgot to make sure the chainwheel fit over the spindle, i wound up having to bore it out using a milling machine. My advice is to do your homework and make sure there is nothing u would have a problem installing otherwise i wouldnt reccomend doing it

F

federal_rider12

Building a BMX - how? post #9
actually u dont need a cup press to put in a headset i use a rubber mallet and it is in level and no damage but for most people who would ram the things into the headtube it be better if u got a cup press or do what im goin to do and go to a hardware store and build one

as of my federal it is great very stiff, strong, and light weight i also noticed it is much slimmer then my redline but i custom built mine so it doesnt have ne parts that a complete federal will have cept for the fork which is just the same as the frame but i have a feelin it will last me a good long time bought it on a whim when i was tryin to get a volume and i had no clue bout gettin a federal and well my mind is totally changed it is a great bike could use some new parts on it though to make it better

D

Darek

Building a BMX - how? post #10
I am a new guy on bmx and i would like to have some opinions aboyt trademarks give it to me :twisted:

RuLe

RuLe

Building a BMX - how? post #11
yea see this is what you want to do

Beginners buy a cheap complete like diamondback and soon u break that

Then go out and buy a haro, fit, s&m, federal, fly, something around 500 bucks, then you will end up breaking that

Then you go and customize your bike to everything you want on it

A guy at the bike shop told me thats the best way to go, and he said if u dont break the beginner bike then you dont need a better bike untell it actually breaks, then u no your too good for that cheap diamondback

O

oibmxpunx

Building a BMX - how? post #12
RuLe said:

Then go out and buy a haro, fit, s&m, federal, fly, something around 500 bucks, then you will end up breaking that

A guy at the bike shop told me thats the best way to go, and he said if u dont break the beginner bike then you dont need a better bike untell it actually breaks, then u no your too good for that cheap diamondback

fit, s&m, federal, fly, cost more then 500 u dont know what ur talking about

RuLe

RuLe

Building a BMX - how? post #13
tell that to the guy that told me at the bike shop

But i said

Then go out and buy a haro, fit, s&m, federal, fly, something around 500 bucks
AROUND 500 and ive seen fit, haro, fly for around 500 bucks. i dont no about s&m tho

C

casperh

Building a BMX - how? post #14
RuLe said:

ok i just broke my beginner bike... is it ok to have done it in 3 months or something

RuLe

RuLe

Building a BMX - how? post #15
well if u broke it that fast that means u do hard stuff so get a better complete bike like real good, go for as much money as u can spend for a complete bike but if u end up braking that. then just customize your own bike to every good part you can think of. thast what the bike shop told me but.........

I would if i could would customize my own bike the second time i bought a bike so it lasts me for a real long time

F

federal_rider12

Building a BMX - how? post #16
really if you break your beginning bike in 3 months that be enough time to understand the parts and how to build your own and you understand the cost so you just jump straight into building a new one you dont buy another complete unless you plan on buying the stronger better parts soon after

C

casperh

Building a BMX - how? post #17
mm interesting :hmm: keep on posting you guys!

New Topics