Brakes...

• Discuss Brakes... in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I know this topic has probably been overdone... But I have a quick question. I just helped a buddy of mine transfer all the parts from his... ...
  • Tags bike bikes
Clutch

Clutch

Brakes... post #1
I know this topic has probably been overdone...

But I have a quick question.

I just helped a buddy of mine transfer all the parts from his mongoose, to his bro's gt mach one. The problem is that both bikes are at leat 8-10 years old. He just wanted a rear brake, but we can't get the pads to release. It has that blasted center spring contraption (U brake).

I zip tied the brake pads together and pulled the cable through tight, but it is beyond me how I calibrate the spring for resistance... I'll try to look for a pic or take one after I type this message up.

Thanks,

Josh

E

EPMD

Brakes... post #2
Im not sure wtf your saying but i think you mean that the brake pads are sticking to the rim and wont go back... well getting new springs in there might help.. oiling the brake mounts..

thats all i got :roll: hoped that helped a bit but i dont know too much about brakes

P

[PRIMO]

Brakes... post #3
eight to ten years sounds to me like you guys need a new bike you'll be better off.

F

federal_rider12

Brakes... post #4
ok from what i understand its not a u brake, its an a brake. u brakes have 2 springs(mostly every u brake has coil springs) where it attaches to the frame. a brakes have a single mounting bolt and the spring is on the bolt and goes down both arms.

to adjust the springs the nut needs to be adjusted on the mounting bolt. it takes some time to keep it all tight, straight, and loose but once it holds without falling apart and you can squeeze the arms together its good. but to be able to get these brakes to work is easy but you need to know how to work with them.

Clutch

Clutch

Brakes... post #5
federal_rider12 said:
ok from what i understand its not a u brake, its an a brake. u brakes have 2 springs(mostly every u brake has coil springs) where it attaches to the frame. a brakes have a single mounting bolt and the spring is on the bolt and goes down both arms.

to adjust the springs the nut needs to be adjusted on the mounting bolt. it takes some time to keep it all tight, straight, and loose but once it holds without falling apart and you can squeeze the arms together its good. but to be able to get these brakes to work is easy but you need to know how to work with them.
Awesome, I am going to have to tell Jeff that... No wonder I couldn't find any info on them, I thought they were just super old u brakes...

As per the comment about a new bike, well I tried to talk to him about that... He thought it would be a "Fun" Challenge, and he was right we had a good time putting it together. A little harder than expected because they were old clunkers, but so far he says it rides good minus not having a brake, which I will relay the info to him in an email.

Thanks again,

Josh

P

[PRIMO]

Brakes... post #6
yeah its always a blast just improving your bike and to see the outcome and to know that you did it is awsome.

Clutch

Clutch

Brakes... post #7
[PRIMO said:
]yeah its always a blast just improving your bike and to see the outcome and to know that you did it is awsome.
Yah, we just spent what would have been a boring weekend building a bike... Had a couple friends over after for a barby and some beers, what more do you need.

I"ll have to get some snaps and post the finished product, it has so many old school stickers on it; pretty damn sweet actually.

Cheers,

Josh

F

federal_rider12

Brakes... post #8
yeah when you understand everything about bikes you can build them in no time. i can build a bike in like an hour or less depends on how fast i want to work.

F

federal_rider12

Brakes... post #9
ok well heres some help right here, i didnt read it but i found it because your not going to find anything on a brakes because everyone calls them sidepull calipers but check this out it might be of some help

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/sidepull.shtml

New Topics