Brake levers?

• Discuss Brake levers? in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; hey i have been wondering about these alot..many people in the world of BMX and flatland have there front brake as there left lever and back brake as... ...
  • Tags bike bmx flatland
L

leon_luxton

Brake levers? post #1
hey i have been wondering about these alot..many people in the world of BMX and flatland have there front brake as there left lever and back brake as right lever..why is this? is this true?..i used to have them the other way round till some1 said it was wrong and COULD affect my tricks..any ideas? so now i have them the same as i described above.What brake lever goes to which of you brakes?
thanks
leon

F

FT rider

Brake levers? post #2
most of the people i know ride with their left lever as their back brake, and so do i mayb its coz im left handed and ur stronger hand pulls the brake as i only ride with one, but my other frends who have 2 brakes also ride with their back going to the left and their not left handed, i never really seen it go the other way never ridden on a bike with right to back brakes

L

leon_luxton

Brake levers? post #3
i THINK its only flatlander who do this though but i aint 2 sure

F

FOL

Brake levers? post #4
got em left (front)

I

infantry43RIDER

Brake levers? post #5
this is what i have noticed about the brake levers deal.
in the united states...most riders have the right lever be the back brake...and then if they have a front it would be the left lever.

then i noticed that the english and german riders out there have it the other way around...back brake = left lever and if they have a front it would be the right lever.

i have no idea why this is...but that is what i noticed.

L

leon_luxton

Brake levers? post #6
yeah i heard the same thing..gusse i am a USA style then..yippy

I

infantry43RIDER

Brake levers? post #7
it doesn't really matter though.
i mean you run your brakes however you want too.
i just think that bikes that are made in europe (completes) come that way.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Brake levers? post #8
Yeah it really does not matter, its your bike and you can have it set up how you want. but i run my lever on the right side because i am right handed (i only run a back brake). but if you run front and back brakes, you generally put the lever on your predominant hand side which corresponds to which brake you use the most (did that make sense?).

so for example if you flatland a lot, flatlanders generally tend you use front brakes most right?, so if you are a right handed flatlander you will probably put your front brake lever on your right hand side. However as i have said before, this is freestyle bmx, there are no rules, so put them on which ever way you feel will be best for you taking into account which side you do tricks most etc etc.

I

infantry43RIDER

Brake levers? post #9
that makes a lot of sence.
like if i had just a back brake i would run the lever on the right side because i am right handed as well.

C

casperh

Brake levers? post #10
you guys talking about the brakes being the other wau around (backbrake left) in germany and england but im form holland (between those 2 countries) and here it is standard having your back brake RIGHT, most of the times flatland riders dont even have a front brake, but thats another topic i guess :lol:

G

geremy

Brake levers? post #11
One of the reasons that people have the front brake on the right is because motorcycles always have the front brake on the right, the clutch on the left and the back brake on the right pedal.

So when I buy a bicycle I always make sure the front brake is on the right.

E

EPMD

Brake levers? post #12
Yeah on my dirtbike ive pressed the front brake a few times.. 8O

I

infantry43RIDER

Brake levers? post #13
man does that suck.
i have also done that.

C

cav89

Brake levers? post #14
hmmm, simple thing is dude, what side you have your brakes on, WILL NOT AFFECT YOUR TRICKS, even if you are a flatlander..........im right-handed, but i still have my brake(only rear) on the left, as it feels more comfortable to me, but, just run it however you wish, and do whatever feels comfortable for you[/u]

C

casperh

Brake levers? post #15
jup its probably the way you like it yourself luxton :)

F

federal_rider12

Brake levers? post #16
the right side was for rear brakes and the left side for front brakes most people have a natural feel the pull the right brake for the rear brakes but im some people they switch the levers round b/c it is more natural for them to go that way so it dont matter the bike will stop no matter what side the levers r on it is how u feel is better ive seen a couple pro's ride with a rear brake and the lever is on the left side so dont listen to what that kid said

S

sentaafEQpovar

Brake levers? post #17
actually which side the lever is on will effect your brakage, becuase if ur left hand is weaker than ur right hand, then the lever on the left side wont be pulled as hard compared to as if were on the right.... but i guess it doesnt matter if u got those perfect brakes that stop instantly

F

federal_rider12

Brake levers? post #18
for me i didnt have trouble when i had my rear brake lever on the left side and im right handed but i noticed all bikes had the rear brake lever on the right side so i went back to that and a little info for people who think u have to buy a left brake lever for the left side or right brake lever for the right side u dont u can flip the lever over and run it on the otherside, just a little somethin i did when i kept crashin and breakin levers and didnt have money to buy new ones

I

infantry43RIDER

Brake levers? post #19
sentaafEQpovar said:
actually which side the lever is on will effect your brakage, becuase if ur left hand is weaker than ur right hand, then the lever on the left side wont be pulled as hard compared to as if were on the right.... but i guess it doesnt matter if u got those perfect brakes that stop instantly
it wouldn't really matter because most riders ride the brakes on the dominate hand side.

New Topics