Brake choices?

• Discuss Brake choices? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I have a GT raider (or asume i do because of the sticker on the frame) anyways, i have a really crappy brake setup (tektro bx20) and i was wondering... ...
  • Tags bike gt shop
U

UltimX

Brake choices? post #1
I have a GT raider (or asume i do because of the sticker on the frame) anyways, i have a really crappy brake setup (tektro bx20) and i was wondering what other brake setups out there are of higher quality? I had the brake setup for a while but it seems really crappy because it hasn't been long enough. Maybe 6 months or less and it broke. First the return spring for one of the brake arms broke off. then i started riding the bike for a while while i looked for a return spring and found nothing. Now the cable is coming apart (threads) so now i have to buy a new one. But I heard u brakes are better so i was wondering if u brakes will work with the gt raider that i have? I think originally the bike had a linear brake setup but i can't remember. So would U brakes such as tektro fx or something fit? I'm not sure if it would because it looks pretty compact. I use my brakes a lot and have had the cable snap 3 times since i had it. I don't know too much about the newer products so i would like your input. I just want something that lasts for a while instead of 6 months or less. Thanks for your help.

BTW, sorry for the long novel.

U

UltimX

Brake choices? post #2
I didn't mean the fx i meant the odyssey evolver... Thanks

F

federal_rider12

Brake choices? post #3
you cant put U brakes on V brake mounts. but i have to say tektro brakes are the best ive ever had and i wont change i might be buying the fx20. and as of the cable splitting thats what v brakes do they kink the cable so much and put so much force on the cable that it splits but they stop nicely

U

UltimX

Brake choices? post #4
Do you happen to know where i might be able to find a replacement spring? Yeah, they are good brakes but, it just seems like i its going to cost more to maintain the brakes then the bike itself. As far as it splitting, the strands themselves are braking at the location of the wheel (on the brake that closes the brake itself) so i don't know how i'm going to fix that. Maybe just apply grease to the cable or something. I'v had the cable snap 3 times and this is kinda getting redundant, but oh well. Thanks for your reply.

F

federal_rider12

Brake choices? post #5
replacement springs i dont know any where but try a bike shop and they probably can find some. but i had a bike quite some time ago with v brakes and i broke the cables every week. try buying a bit more expensive cable(ask guys at shops which cables are harder to break) also get one teflon coated, usually look black, and put on cable ends(little alloy things that keep the cable from fraying) and if your talking about the cable breaking where it is pinched on the arm, well you better keep expecting that to happen because it gets pinched so hard there and the brakes are being pulled right there and it gets kinked(especially if bend it down along the arm after the pinch point, that will make the cable break much easier) so i mean v brakes are proned to breaking cables. also maybe try and rap the cable right where it is pinched, and a bit farther out from there, with duct tape about 1mm thick and that might help but i dont know

U

UltimX

Brake choices? post #6
Have you seen the bx20? it doesn't have a kink, it just goes around a pully and not a arm. Thanks man

F

federal_rider12

Brake choices? post #7
yes i have and where the cable is pinched down thats the weakness because they pull so hard that the cable cant take it and if the cable hangs out past that point and which on like all v brakes is bent down the arm from there to keep the cable from scraping your foot but since it is bent back like that it weakens the cable but v brakes tear through cables like no other

New Topics