Brake assembling help.

• Discuss Brake assembling help. in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey, I ordered two bmx's online. A Haro 540 mirra and a Haro F4 freeride. They came in parts and I don't know much about bmx's, so it's been hard... ...
  • Tags bike bikes bmx gt haro bike
B

bakalla

Brake assembling help. post #1
Hey,

I ordered two bmx's online. A Haro 540 mirra and a Haro F4 freeride. They came in parts and I don't know much about bmx's, so it's been hard for me to piece them together. They work fine now though, except for the brakes. They work and everything, but they're pretty weak. I can't do endos because the brakes just don't grip very well! Any advice? The brakes are "tektro u-brakes", I think. And the way I've assembled them, it looks like this:

(pictures always help, right?)

FRONT BRAKE

FRONT BRAKE FROM ABOVE

THE GYRO THINGIE

REAR BRAKE

THE BAR

Got any tips for me? Anything would be appreciated.

-Hakan

T

Trimix

Brake assembling help. post #2
Well, it's real hard to tell what your brake adjustment is like...from a picture.

I am betting....that you didn't initially pre-tighten the entire cable length when you tightened that last cable? And now the finger adustments are adjusted all the way out...and it still doesn't brake right? Am I close?

B

bakalla

Brake assembling help. post #3
Trimix said:
I am betting....that you didn't initially pre-tighten the entire cable length when you tightened that last cable? And now the finger adustments are adjusted all the way out...and it still doesn't brake right? Am I close?
Not really :)

I don't have to pull my break very far to actually break. The finger adjustments are barely touched at all. The problem is just that even though my brake pads touch the wheel, it doesn't seem to brake hard enough. I have to keep braking for a second or two to actually get the bike to stop entirely, which means it's a slow and steady brake-in rather than the full-stop I'm looking for. Do you have any clue what I'm trying to say?

I

infantry43RIDER

Brake assembling help. post #4
wait you ordered two bikes? ha...sweet.

B

bakalla

Brake assembling help. post #5
infantry43RIDER said:
wait you ordered two bikes? ha...sweet.
The "carolina blue" haro bike is for my girlfriend :D

I

infantry43RIDER

Brake assembling help. post #6
ooooo....how cute that is.

T

Trimix

Brake assembling help. post #7
bakalla said:
Trimix said:
Not really :)

I don't have to pull my break very far to actually break. The finger adjustments are barely touched at all. The problem is just that even though my brake pads touch the wheel, it doesn't seem to brake hard enough. I have to keep braking for a second or two to actually get the bike to stop entirely, which means it's a slow and steady brake-in rather than the full-stop I'm looking for. Do you have any clue what I'm trying to say?
Then I would say you are not strong enough, your pads suck, or you rims suck. One of those three. :)

S

stolen_rider

Brake assembling help. post #8
or posibly all of the above

O

orangebeast91489

Brake assembling help. post #9
also remember, gyros SUCK for good braking. at least the stock ones do with the ORYG or whatever the hell its called. get some nice cables and lube the bejesus outa em. try new pads and maybe get some roofin tar and put it on ur sidewalls. then you will have mad braking. but tar is loud as hell hahahahaaa ERRRRRRRRRRCCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHH

old_school_goose

old_school_goose

Brake assembling help. post #10
ha ha ha the roof tar idea is awsome. loud breaks kick ass!!! i have another bike specially custimized to make it look as crappy as possible. i'm going to do the tar thing

S

stolen_rider

Brake assembling help. post #11
ive also got those tektros and i think they are just generally shit brakes
they need better pads than the ones that came with them anyway.

T

Trimix

Brake assembling help. post #12
I don't see Pros using Tar. I don't see Pros complaining about Gyros. I see Pros using Gyros that are set up correctly. Conversations I have had with a couple of these guys have solved my gyro problems. I prefer to model my future abilities around what they have learned.

New Topics