"BMX"

T

Trimix

"BMX" post #1
This is pretty lame I'll admit, but I have been wondering this for a while. Some that know me here know I have only been riding for about 6 months, but I DID RIDE many years ago, and just picked it back up. It's this term "BMX" that has me.....years ago it made sense as "Bicycle Moto Cross" (BMX) was all there was. That and dirt jumping. In fact, I NEVER won first....as I always stayed in the back so I could really LAY ONE OUT across the dirt table at the end. It was funny as the first place winner would get a "yeah", but pulling something cool people wanted to see got cheer upon cheer.....

So why is it called BMX still? Seems like a misnomer. I mean what we ride (Dirt, Park, Street) has NOTHING to do with Bicycle Moto Cross......

I just tell people that I ride "freestyle 20" bikes". Not BMX.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

"BMX" post #2
cos its BMX, it is, and it will always be. if you take away its name you take away several decades of history with it. anyway I suppose if we want to get all technical and stuff street, park, dirt, and flat etc are all freestyle BMX aren't they.

it will always be bmx in my mind and if any cool media mogul decides that he should change it to something "coooooool" and more acceptable to the public like XXXTREAME bicycle death riding or whatever, he can receive the finger.

S

sentaafEQpovar

"BMX" post #3
yeah i have it stuck in my head that bmx = bicicle motocross, and ill be like to a kid at my school "you ride?" and hell be like "yeah" and ill be like "what u ride?" hell be like "bmx" and im like "oh, you race?" and hell be like " oh no, i just ride freestyle and stuff" and im like "oh, neeto"

to me i see it as
-dirt
-street/park (they seem like the same thing to me, usually anyone who rides street also rides park)
-bmx
-flatland

I

infantry43RIDER

"BMX" post #4
thats why i don't usually ever say BMX.
i just say i ride...let the other people figure that shit out....doesn't bother me one bit.

E

EPMD

"BMX" post #5
Trimix said:
This is pretty lame I'll admit, but I have been wondering this for a while. Some that know me here know I have only been riding for about 6 months, but I DID RIDE many years ago, and just picked it back up. It's this term "BMX" that has me.....years ago it made sense as "Bicycle Moto Cross" (BMX) was all there was. That and dirt jumping. In fact, I NEVER won first....as I always stayed in the back so I could really LAY ONE OUT across the dirt table at the end. It was funny as the first place winner would get a "yeah", but pulling something cool people wanted to see got cheer upon cheer.....

So why is it called BMX still? Seems like a misnomer. I mean what we ride (Dirt, Park, Street) has NOTHING to do with Bicycle Moto Cross......

I just tell people that I ride "freestyle 20" bikes". Not BMX.
I wish i raced... too late to start tho, it looked like it was some good fun though.. but sometimes i will goto the track and dick around tho with my friends

X

XIII

"BMX" post #6
why does it have MOTO in it?

I

infantry43RIDER

"BMX" post #7
well im pretty sure BMX came from racing.
so moto.

S

sentaafEQpovar

"BMX" post #8
i dont know why, but mx = motorcycle racing
little kids who couldnt afford bikes back in the day would set up tracks similar to mx tracks in empty lots and stuff, so thay made it bycicle mx and went into bmx and became a sport

X

XIII

"BMX" post #9
oh.

T

Trimix

"BMX" post #10
Mr_Shrapnel said:
cos its BMX, it is, and it will always be. if you take away its name you take away several decades of history with it. anyway I suppose if we want to get all technical and stuff street, park, dirt, and flat etc are all freestyle BMX aren't they.

it will always be bmx in my mind and if any cool media mogul decides that he should change it to something "coooooool" and more acceptable to the public like XXXTREAME bicycle death riding or whatever, he can receive the finger.
The "History Factor" is a pretty big one, I hear ya on that one Shrapnel....you DO have a point.

F

FOL

"BMX" post #11
sentaafEQpovar said:
to me i see it as
-dirt
-street/park (they seem like the same thing to me, usually anyone who rides street also rides park)
-bmx
-flatland
what about vert? it isn't really included in street

G

"BMX" post #12
it came from moto cause they were still jumping back in d-day

C

casperh

"BMX" post #13
Bursting
Masturbating
X-ray

well this was my first guess
you dont want to know my other guesses...
------------
not born

r
i
d
e

ironmaiden666

ironmaiden666

"BMX" post #14
i look at it more as the type of bike i ride. i ride a bmx bike. the first freestyle bikes were just converted bmx bikes, that's why it crossed over i think. i mean look at those urban mountain bikers. they're riding street style basically but on a mountain bike. when people ask me what style bike i ride i say bmx, if they ask what style riding i do, i say freestyle.

Daguru

Daguru

"BMX" post #16
ohh totaly mhan.. racism is bad..

ironmaiden666

ironmaiden666

"BMX" post #19
oh wait, they probably haven't taught you that in health class yet...

J0hnnySick0

J0hnnySick0

"BMX" post #20
I loled soooo hard at that.

Just leave the name, now theres just many different types of bmx riding you can do.
Changing the name will just confuse people, all the companies will have to change they're name and I'll just keep on saying BMX.

New Topics