BMX upgrade

• Discuss BMX upgrade in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey there...... atm i own a redline Petty Cash (this model was discontinued after 2002 when i bought it btw, dunno y)...but anyway, on with... ...
  • Tags bike bmx cranks parts rad bmx ride bmx
C

cav89

BMX upgrade post #1
Hey there......
atm i own a redline Petty Cash (this model was discontinued after 2002 when i bought it btw, dunno y)...but anyway, on with it.......it suits me very well, and it isnt too heavy for me either, although my friends think it is...but recently my friends have been dissing me because of it and saying i should buy a new one even though this a AUD$500 bike, and is in awesome condition...........i was hoping for a cheaper alternative such as upgrading certain components....... such as my shitty 1pce cranks to 3pce etc.......i currently have these parts on my bike:
2x Alex rims(front and back)
1x MAXXIS M-TREAD(rear)
1x Redline Freaky-V(front)
2x Redline Freaky-G grips
1x 1pce cranks(dunno wat brand, but, dus it really matter if they r 1pce??)
1x redline Petty Cash 5.0 Saddle(others say its a bit small, but i think its fine)
1x Tektro U-Brake(rear)
1x SST Oryg Detangler(many people, friends AND on here, dislike gyros and say they r too much hassle, but i kept it cus is easier for barspins etc...and really doesnt change braking performance)
1x Redline Petty Cash Sprocket
also.....
1x rear hub(unknown to me what brand, as with the front one)
1x front hub
and of course, a chain (which i was thinkin of upgrading to a motorbike chain, they r much thicker and dont snap as easy).......

i also have handlebars, a headset, stem, and a fork(duh), but im in no rush to change them........

If you guys can think of anything there that i can change cheaply, and can tell me an approximate cost in AUD$(preferably within Australia) thatd be great...........

catch you all later

im off to ride

C

cav89

BMX upgrade post #2
When i say: it was discontinued in 2002 when i bought it btw, dunno y....
i mean, i bought it in the year 2002, and after that year it was discontinued, i didnt mean it was discontinued RIGHT AFTER I BOUGHT IT, just though i would classify that so i dont get any smart-ass responses.......

M

Mr_Shrapnel

BMX upgrade post #3
well i always say that there is no point in buying new parts if there is nothing wrong with the ones on your bike allready. if you dont have any problems with the parts on you bike then there is no need to upgrade. however, if you continue to ride bmx, you WILL need 3-piece cranks sooner or later, so it might be worth investing in a nice set of cranks, if youo have the cash. other thank that forget about what your mates say, its you bike and if your happy with it, thats all that matters.

C

cav89

BMX upgrade post #4
tru man........

the thing is I want 3pce, but i cant really find anything affordable,i was thinkin bout sum redline 'forged' monster 3pce's, what do you guys think, from my resources(danscomp.com) i can get em for AUD$102.....i think dats what it was anywayz......doz anyone have recommendations? what do you all use??

F

FT rider

BMX upgrade post #5
im running primo powerbites at the mo, DO NOT BUY FORGED CRANKS they weigh far too much andare completely pointless, if you want three pieces you have to buy a decent TUBULAR pair there is no point either buying the cheapest or the first ones you see, like these forged things, they will completely weigh the bike down, and unless you are a beginner there is no point buying cheaper 3-piece cranks either even if they are tubular because they will snap a bout some diamondback sealed ones for £60, snapped them so i bought the 4-jeri ones and snapped them too, just save up and do some research www.bmx-test.com should help.

Basically you gotta look around before you buy such a large upgrade, i mean you may not even need them, i have met three sponsored guys who know they are smooth and so ride with one-pieces (they are the lightest), even one of the guys from Ride USA does, so if your a beginner or real smooth dont bother getting 3-pieces.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

BMX upgrade post #6
my advise is to simply wait, save you money, and get a good quality set of tubular cro-mo or forged/machined aluminium cranks, (about 100-130 usd) instead of a rubbish set of unsealed forged cro-mo cranks. if you get a set of good quality cranks they will last you many, many years. however if you get a low quality set of unsealed forged cro-mo cranks they will last you a couple of years maximum.

personally i would rather have a good 2 or even 1 piece crank, over a set of low quality unsealed forged cro-mo cranks.

if there is nothing wrong with the cranks you are running (eg broken or damaged) just forget about it for the moment untill you can afford to get a good quality set.

F

federal_rider12

BMX upgrade post #7
the petty cash just like the single x was the bottom line for redline but i guess u could upgrade the parts and when the frame is done get a new one and ud be ready to go and the thick 3/16 chain ur not goin to need just get a better 1/8 chain they do great(get a kmc heavy duty 410H or kool K710) and 3/16 ud have to buy a new freewheel to run the chain and the chainwheel thats on there will work with a 3/16 but it gets damaged easily by the chain just by pedallin, i use to have a redline limited edition xx full 4130 chromoly frame very rare find, the fork wasnt too bad till i landed hard on the front and i bent the steer tube which broke the bottom cup of my fsa pig headset

New Topics