Bmx Specific Shop

• Discuss Bmx Specific Shop in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Ok say someone wanted to open a bmx specific bike shop in Ontario do you have to go to school and become a bicycle mechanic or could you just open a... ...
sledneckadam

sledneckadam

Bmx Specific Shop post #1
Ok say someone wanted to open a bmx specific bike shop in Ontario do you have to go to school and become a bicycle mechanic or could you just open a bike shop and fix bikes?

I am in 12th grade and decided to go back to school for another year because I have no clue what to do and I love bikes so I thought about running a bmx shop but I didn't know if you have to go to school to become a bike mechanic.

Mods feel free to move this if this is the wrong section.

R

Ryno149

Bmx Specific Shop post #2
If you want to own your own shop, you should probably look for some sort of business/entrepreneurship degree. I think to be a bike mechanic, you just have to have experience with them...I don't know of any place that actually certifies you as one.

B

bmxanimal

Bmx Specific Shop post #3
dude you could be a highschool drop out and be a bike shop owner/mechanic. if you know what your doing then id say go for it, if not you could go to you local TAFE and do a course on bike mechanics or somthing similar. and the only other thing that might set you back is some sorta business/retail training (knowing how to do the books and shit for your shop)

911freeagentbmx911

911freeagentbmx911

Bmx Specific Shop post #4
if u wanna be a mech just start building and fixing bikes

if u wanna be an owner u wanna go to college for that shit or shadow a bike owner and get the hang of it

ATP

ATP

Bmx Specific Shop post #5
shits not easy, thats for sure

sledneckadam

sledneckadam

Bmx Specific Shop post #6
Ya I didn't think there was a place that certifys as a bike mechanic but in the warrenty books it says to get a licensed bike mechanic to install a part.

I guess I should look into business owner classes.

StrykeSteve

StrykeSteve

Bmx Specific Shop post #7
i've wanted to begin the bmx business for almost 2 years now. you have to be over 18 to do this and you also have to have credit for loans and shit. but other than that; pursue it and do it.

komplexvn

komplexvn

Bmx Specific Shop post #8
id also like to do that since the lbs here is shit. im in barrie, ont if you've ever heard of bike zone sled.

R

Ryno149

Bmx Specific Shop post #9
Also, I don't know that you'd want to do just BMX stuff there. I don't think you'd make very much money since you'd be marketing to such a small percentage of the population. If I were you, I'd also sell stuff like road bikes & mountain bikes and then have a couple extra employees who know a lot about those types. Just a suggestion.

sledneckadam

sledneckadam

Bmx Specific Shop post #10
I was thinking of an extreme sports store covering snowboarding, skateboarding, bmx, mtb, inline skating and then some casual stuff.

I turn 18 next month and I'm gonna get a credit card and get good credit by buying something I have the money for with the car5d then paying it off right away.

I've never been to barrie and also if you ever pass through listowel don't stop at the local bike shop the guy knows NOTHING about bmx. He told my friend theres no such thing as a tripple wall rim, he doesn't tighten stuff up or he over tightens stuff he's terrible. So just pass right on through this town.

R

Ryno149

Bmx Specific Shop post #11
Like I said in my first post, though...I'd go and get some sort of business schooling, so you know what you're getting into and how to handle everything. And an extreme sports shop would be cool...I've thought about it before too.:D

B

bmxanimal

Bmx Specific Shop post #12
^^^^ i skipped the bmx shop idea, i wanna own a bmx company that manufactures bmx parts. ;) after i finish my metal fabrications/welding certificates im gonna look into it after. but in the meantime im just gonna try and start creating ideas and designing some parts, well try to lol

B

band aid

Bmx Specific Shop post #13
i'd to the extreme sports shop...you will make more money.

erikasLT

erikasLT

Bmx Specific Shop post #14
talk to some bike shop owners

sledneckadam

sledneckadam

Bmx Specific Shop post #15
The bike shop owner around here is um different and I don't trust him. After I finish buying my bike parts from him I hopefully will never have to speak to him again, he is nice(kinda) on the other hand.

I'm going to setup an appointment on monday at my school with a guidence counciler and ask them what courses I should take.

bmxanimal I wanted to do that also but I learn very little in my machine shop class and my welding class this year because my teacher had us doing projects that have nothing to do with welding or machining.

In my welding class I only got to weld about one week in total out of the whole semester. Machine shop class is different I do odd jobs and easy stuff on the lathe or mill. I hate them, so I gave up on that idea.

So ya extreme sports store is my choice but I was just wondering what kind of extreme sports are there other then bmx, mtb, skateboarding, and inline skating?

Second question what kinds of things would you like to see in a shop like that other then bike parts. I plan on having a wide variety of parts to choose from i.e. almost every bmx company.

Last edited:
kjuy

kjuy

Bmx Specific Shop post #16
I was thinking of an extreme sports store covering snowboarding, skateboarding, bmx, mtb, inline skating and then some casual stuff.

I turn 18 next month and I'm gonna get a credit card and get good credit by buying something I have the money for with the car5d then paying it off right away.

I've never been to barrie and also if you ever pass through listowel don't stop at the local bike shop the guy knows NOTHING about bmx. He told my friend theres no such thing as a tripple wall rim, he doesn't tighten stuff up or he over tightens stuff he's terrible. So just pass right on through this town.

Kind of reminds me of when I went to my local mountain bike shop for brake pads. The guy literally said "Chrome rims? Good luck stopping with them!" I almost pimpsmacked that hoe.

R

Ryno149

Bmx Specific Shop post #17
So ya extreme sports store is my choice but I was just wondering what kind of extreme sports are there other then bmx, mtb, skateboarding, and inline skating?
Snowboarding, wakeboarding, wakeskating, skiing, waterskiing, maybe motocross? Those are the only ones that come to mind right now.

Second question what kinds of things would you like to see in a shop like that other then bike parts. I plan on having a wide variety of parts to choose from i.e. almost every bmx company.
I'd also like to see clothes, shoes, helmets, pads...that kind of stuff. Also, DVD's would be pretty cool. OH! And a mini-ramp or something in the back.:D I don't know how well that'd work out because you'd have to have them sign waivers and your insurance might increase with that, though.:?

S

screwglue

Bmx Specific Shop post #18
well, first of all ur gonna hafta apply for a comapny, pay the taxes and shit. then u gotta find a place to rent. the best thing is find a supplier for bmx stores, i know one but forgot the name of it. it basicly has a variety of brands(kink,oddsey and such) and u just hafta get all the stuff u want from them isntead of applying as a distrabuter for everyone bmx brand.

then i tihnk u should find a partner to split it up, so if u get screwed ur only paying for half or loaning half the shit, prefeerbayl somone who also knows what tehre doing.

and if ur doing an extreme sports store maybe do paintballing too:D

but if you want to save on some rent maybe u can share a shop with somone, like find a mountainbike store, say hey can i split some of ur shop and stuff and im gonna do bmx bikes or something.

I'd also like to see clothes, shoes, helmets, pads...that kind of stuff. Also, DVD's would be pretty cool. OH! And a mini-ramp or something in the back. I don't know how well that'd work out because you'd have to have them sign waivers and your insurance might increase with that, though.
i dont really suggest that at all, mini ramps and bmx vids wont make alot of profit if any at all, maybe if his business is running good and such.

but really tat would be kick ass if u had khe cuz khe has good parts but barley anywhere to find in us, that isnt flatland.

sledneckadam

sledneckadam

Bmx Specific Shop post #19
Kind of reminds me of when I went to my local mountain bike shop for brake pads. The guy literally said "Chrome rims? Good luck stopping with them!" I almost pimpsmacked that hoe.
Wow and I thought my local bike shop owner was dumb.

Snowboarding, wakeboarding, wakeskating, skiing, waterskiing, maybe motocross? Those are the only ones that come to mind right now.

I'd also like to see clothes, shoes, helmets, pads...that kind of stuff. Also, DVD's would be pretty cool. OH! And a mini-ramp or something in the back.:D I don't know how well that'd work out because you'd have to have them sign waivers and your insurance might increase with that, though.:?
Ah I can't belive I forgot snowboarding, thanks for the other ideas and theres a place called royal distributing around here that sells dirtbike sutff so I won't be able to compete.

I was going to look into a mini ramp and even if no one would ride it I would.

well, first of all ur gonna hafta apply for a comapny, pay the taxes and shit. then u gotta find a place to rent. the best thing is find a supplier for bmx stores, i know one but forgot the name of it. it basicly has a variety of brands(kink,oddsey and such) and u just hafta get all the stuff u want from them isntead of applying as a distrabuter for everyone bmx brand.

I found out all the distributers for most porducts the main one's atleast.

then i tihnk u should find a partner to split it up, so if u get screwed ur only paying for half or loaning half the shit, prefeerbayl somone who also knows what tehre doing.

and if ur doing an extreme sports store maybe do paintballing too:D

but really tat would be kick ass if u had khe cuz khe has good parts but barley anywhere to find in us, that isnt flatland.

I found out all the distributers for most porducts the main one's atleast.
I was thinking of a partner it would have to be someone that's good with mtb's because I don't know very much about them.
Paintball is a great idea never thought of that one thanks.
My lbs has the khe supplyer so I know who to call if I do this.

pinkfluffymunky

pinkfluffymunky

Bmx Specific Shop post #20
if you know where you can get property and you have a rough idea of what to do...go for it....just locate it where you have good transport links ..i .e close to many main roads....so its accessible and where there is a large bmx scene...
maybe you should just research business studies and geography....geography is for like location and use of sites of land and things...business studies is for running a business and bugetting and stuff...those are two subject you study in school in northern ireland like im only 16 and my friends chose business studies and they know so much bout all that now...

its a good plan...my bros friends whos 19 now....he dropped out of school and worked in a pizzaria and then the owner was selling it so he got a student loan and bought it...ok...life is hard for him....he 19....makes no profit and is in debt....but like in a year or two he will be loaded he has/is working hard...like its just a take away and hes doing so well he has a staff of like 10 people which is massive for just a take away that makes a pizza every 5 mins...they dont all work a once but still...

if you dont think you would have a good career ahead due to failing exams and stuff i would try it

you should juts make like a reasonably big shop for extreme sports...liek in northern ireland theres a shop called surf mountain...it dabbbles in everything....clothing would be a big income esp male and female surf and skate wear....bmxs/bikes....skateboard...surfing...snowboarding...hiking and camping equip...the shop surf mounting isnt big like but its well know its a chain...but its dabbles in everything so you cant go wrong...even surfing and hardly ne1 surfs in northern ireland! gd luck neways

Last edited:

New Topics