Best BMX Dirt - Bike for 500 tops

• Discuss Best BMX Dirt - Bike for 500 tops in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey, I'm not a street rider I'm looking for a BMX dirt-bike, I haven't ridden in maybe 5 years, but the kind of bikes I used to like when I was younger... ...
C

CrimsonVerbs

Best BMX Dirt - Bike for 500 tops post #1
Hey, I'm not a street rider I'm looking for a BMX dirt-bike, I haven't ridden in maybe 5 years, but the kind of bikes I used to like when I was younger I remember I had a Mongoose, Free Agent, Black widow 3 pc Cranks, Answer Handlebars, stuff like that. I dunno if this stuff is still around, but I want something similar for around 500. U know what they are doing now, the newer stuff. This forum seems to be alot about vert/street which isn't really my thing, I like bmw bike racing. Hope you guys can help.. Point me in the right direction at least...

Thx,

David

Pickles

Pickles

Best BMX Dirt - Bike for 500 tops post #2
subrosa makes dirt based completes.

the thing that seperates dirt from street,a few things actually:
-14mm front axle. for larger impacts
-knobbier tires
-gearing playing*
-longer bikes

*people play with the gears in dirt to either run their gears either higher or lower then the normal 1:2.75,depending which they want. I see a lot of the locals running lower gearing though. one or two running higher. most just run the normal though

just depends on your trails that you ride mainly. If you plan to be riding many different trails,sitck to the 1:2.75 so you arent adjusted for a higher or lower gear trail,but if you plan to just stick to one trail, get it and ride it,see what you think you want. higher, lower, or keep the same.

wethepeople1

wethepeople1

Best BMX Dirt - Bike for 500 tops post #3
yeah agreed subrosa make good solid bikes too

Pickles

Pickles

Best BMX Dirt - Bike for 500 tops post #4
http://www.danscomp.com/products.php?cat=BIKES&show=Subrosa their 08s and 09s are up there.

http://www.danscomp.com/101738.php?cat=BIKES

a few thigns about that;
pegs--in dirt? you wont need those unless youre going to be running them for tricks (rocket airs come to mind)
gearing--25/9 is a bit low for dirt or any riding,since your chainwheel doesnt really need to clear rails for grinding/gapping in dirt, if you run in to any problems then i suggest getting 30/11 or 33/12 gearing (or around there whichever gearing you decide you want to set up)

20.5 tt is kinda short, Im 5'9 and run a 21" in street,if I were to run dirt I would probably run 21.25. the sizes go up a small bit for dirt/trails

bguminey

bguminey

Best BMX Dirt - Bike for 500 tops post #5
Im 5' 11" and I run a 20.3 top tub I think sizing is personal preference on how you feel on the bike. I know some guys who run a 20 top tub and are 6 ft even its all on the rider I disagree with the size.

C

CrimsonVerbs

Best BMX Dirt - Bike for 500 tops post #6
those bikes look kinda crappy on dans comp pluss they have those foot peg things, what about crupi, i hear those are good? Is free agent or haro still around??

Anyone here who REALLY knows about this stuff?

Pickles

Pickles

Best BMX Dirt - Bike for 500 tops post #9
Haro IS still around and is definately starting to explode this year and last year compared to their previous setups. They should work good for dirt

and btw the 6' even guy on a 20" tt, thats for street. street based can be made shorter, easily. But trails is preferred to have a longer bike.

you say they look crappy but the only thing you have against them is pegs, which can be removed in about 2 minutes. dont judge a bike on its looks either, judge it on specs.

in response to the bike you posted:
wait im confused,you want this for dirt jumping? if you want to have something for dirt jumping:
-stay away from aluminum

keep full chromo frame,forks,bars. get a cassette,14mm rear and preferably 14mm front, especially for bigger launches where the impact is greater.

andhey

andhey

Best BMX Dirt - Bike for 500 tops post #10
pretty much what italian said and free agent has pretty much been eradicated from the scene for quite awhile

Last edited:

New Topics