Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB?

  • Discuss Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Now that euro BB's have been out for awhile im wondering how good they are. almost every good frame now is made with a euro. ive herd of euro bearings... ...
  • Tags bike bike frames bikes bmx bmx com mountain bike mountain bike frames
R

rocket

Guest
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #1
Now that euro BB's have been out for awhile im wondering how good they are. almost every good frame now is made with a euro. ive herd of euro bearings blowing out on them but i assume thats very rare. im sumwhat "old school" so im a little skeptic about the euro. :? so tell me what you think...are euro BB's worth it? do they hold up on hard landings? are they weaker or stronger? do you know what most pros think about the euro? i need lots of input to help me decide what kind of frame to get.
 
wtp omen

wtp omen

New Member
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #2
euros are weaker.

they have smaller bearings which don't last as long and they have threads which can get messed up.

i think you only save a few ounces going from an american BB to a euro, that is; if you keep the same crank and just change the BB.

i personally don't like them but i have only used one on a MTB. it didn't break, but it was only smooth for a few months.

i would stay away from euro BBs if: you do many sprocket tricks, if you do any crank arm grinds, if you have dented american BBs, if you are really heavy, if you aren't smooth.

the only real benefits to a euro BB are that the cups screw in(no more pounding cups in with a hammer and a block of wood) and you save a tiny bit of weight.


if euros are so great, why do you think many mountain bike frames are switching to american BBs after using euros for so long?
 
M

Mr_Shrapnel

New Member
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #3
what he said, i guess youo can get away with them if you are really REALLY smooth or if you flatland mostly, other than that they are a waste of time i think. plus now profile has the evo bb, they are just as easy too install as euro bb's
 
E

Enkhi

New Member
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #4
Yeah man - the threads are the key - you dont have to hammer your bb in like a baboon....

doesnt Profile make an American screw in BB?
 
M

Mr_Shrapnel

New Member
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #5
yeah thats the evolution bb that i just mentioned
 
E

Enkhi

New Member
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #6
Mr_Shrapnel said:
yeah thats the evolution bb that i just mentioned
You know what - sorry for missing that lol.
 
R

rocket

Guest
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #7
OK if euros are not that great then why are so many bike companies now, making their frames with a euro BB? For example: all the signature frames like DK weapon,Standard bullit, Metal dagger, S&M stricker and beringer, Fit series 2 (series 1 was american), Fit edwin, and others like Premium, Kink, etc; you get the picture. some of the frames i mentioned are the best out there but i think it sucks that they dont make all these frames with American BB too. ive herd that euros are just as strong but i havent herd convicing evidence that they are or that there weaker. im sure theres riders here that have a euro or have known how they hold up with the pros.

wtp omen: as you say "mountain bike companies are switching to american BB" it seems to me bmx companies are switching to euros and at the rate its going, in the next 5 or so years there wont be american BB anymore...im still trying to figure out why....
 
D

Devourment 138

Guest
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #8
marketing.... if they keep changing things people will keep buying things.
 
C

casperh

Guest
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #9
wtp omen said:
euros are weaker.

they have smaller bearings which don't last as long and they have threads which can get messed up.

i think you only save a few ounces going from an american BB to a euro, that is; if you keep the same crank and just change the BB.

i personally don't like them but i have only used one on a MTB. it didn't break, but it was only smooth for a few months.

i would stay away from euro BBs if: you do many sprocket tricks, if you do any crank arm grinds, if you have dented american BBs, if you are really heavy, if you aren't smooth.

the only real benefits to a euro BB are that the cups screw in(no more pounding cups in with a hammer and a block of wood) and you save a tiny bit of weight.


if euros are so great, why do you think many mountain bike frames are switching to american BBs after using euros for so long?
okeoke i'm to dumb for this
 
fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

New Member
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #10
Enkhi said:
Yeah man - the threads are the key - you dont have to hammer your bb in like a baboon....

doesnt Profile make an American screw in BB?
Getting the cups in isn't too hard. It just takes patience, a block of wood, a hammer, and a lot of hard taps.

The hard part is getting the cups out without damaging them too much. I took a hacksaw to my cracked headtube frame's bottom bracket just to get the cups out without damage. My effort has paid off though. My bike with the new frame is super smooth but im working on getting a hubguard off now. Primo cyclones bend. Not a lot but just enough to where taking it off is pretty darn hard.

I say no to euro bb's. I hope they will go away soon.

However, Fly Bikes has a great idea. Spanish bottom bracket. A new bottom bracket with a larger bearing than a euro bb with a slightly bigger size. It has threads for easy installation and it weighs the same as a euro. Go check it out:
www.flybikes.com

 
I

infantry43RIDER

Guest
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #11
good idea.
but i don't think it will catch on...too many BB's.
 
D

Devourment 138

Guest
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #12
to be politicaly correct we need an African American BB....oh wait my last bike had one of those. My bad
 
I

infantry43RIDER

Guest
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #13
that is sooo funny...
 
F

federal_rider12

New Member
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #14
well supposedly euro bottoms r smoother but the big thing bout them is how easy it is to install and remove, but thats how it is now we get lazier and lazier lookin for easier ways to do things
 
C

casperh

Guest
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #15
Devourment 138 said:
to be politicaly correct we need an African American BB....oh wait my last bike had one of those. My bad
to be politically correct why don't we have a bike without any american stuff? :wink:
 
I

infantry43RIDER

Guest
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #16
uh you could do that if you wanted too smart guy.
 
D

Devourment 138

Guest
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #17
casperh said:
Devourment 138 said:
to be politicaly correct we need an African American BB....oh wait my last bike had one of those. My bad
to be politically correct why don't we have a bike without any american stuff? :wink:
I believe you are talking about a Diamond Back :twisted:
 
C

casperh

Guest
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #18
Devourment 138 said:
casperh said:
Devourment 138 said:
to be politicaly correct we need an African American BB....oh wait my last bike had one of those. My bad
to be politically correct why don't we have a bike without any american stuff? :wink:
I believe you are talking about a Diamond Back :twisted:
hhmm wussy shit, im more for the cool you know
 
D

Devourment 138

Guest
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #19
you must be European
 
R

rocket

Guest
Besides saving weight, whats better about a euro BB? post #20
Posted: 12 Dec 2003 03:52

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK if euros are not that great then why are so many bike companies now, making their frames with a euro BB? For example: all the signature frames like DK weapon,Standard bullit, Metal dagger, S&M stricker and beringer, Fit series 2 (series 1 was american), Fit edwin, and others like Premium, Kink, etc; you get the picture. some of the frames i mentioned are the best out there but i think it sucks that they dont make all these frames with American BB too. ive herd that euros are just as strong but i havent herd convicing evidence that they are or that there weaker. im sure theres riders here that have a euro or have known how they hold up with the pros.

wtp omen: as you say "mountain bike companies are switching to american BB" it seems to me bmx companies are switching to euros and at the rate its going, in the next 5 or so years there wont be american BB anymore...im still trying to figure out why

CAN you guys stay on the subject plz? IF you OWN a bike with a EURO, id like to know how it holds up on hard landings like casing a big double and street abuse...has anyone ever seen the bearings "blow" out or the BB shell crack?
 

New Topics

Top