bearings do not fit, help? (Redline)

• Discuss bearings do not fit, help? (Redline) in the Old School BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; (I probably should have posted this in the Tech section, Sorry, first post here.) Ok...I dragged my bike out from the attic which has had about 10... ...
C

Candyman

bearings do not fit, help? (Redline) post #1
(I probably should have posted this in the Tech section, Sorry, first post here.)

Ok...I dragged my bike out from the attic which has had about 10 years of retirement on it. The original 3 piece cranks on my (some where between 88' and 90' model) Redline are stripped. I ordered a 3 piece Monster Crank for replacement and the bearings provided are to big for the housing on the frame. I took one the Redline Monster bearings and pressed it out of the black housing and it is still too big for the frame. Is there a cheap kit that will get these to fit my bike? Is there a company i can have send a custom bearings to me? When did Bike Companys start making the crank bearing housing accept bigger diameter bearings?

I need help, my bike is out in the garage all taken apart waitng to get ridin.

thanks

p.s. I know the redline Monsters arent the best, but i just wanted something to get started again.:lol:

Last edited:
Justin

Justin

bearings do not fit, help? (Redline) post #2
The old cups should come out, and the new ones should go in without issues. A little puonding maybe, but it should still be possible. Maybe take a couple pics so we can see what you see. But they should fit, one way or another.

R

Robf781

bearings do not fit, help? (Redline) post #3
It depends on the manufacturer, I had a morales street frame a while back and the crank cups were extremely tight fitting. I tried putting a wedge of timber underneath it and on top of the bearing cup whilst whacking it with a lump hammer and it still wouldn't go in.

Ended up putting the cups in the freezer overnight and soaking the bottom bracket in boiling water just before having another go. They went in but it still took a good smack or two.

C

Candyman

bearings do not fit, help? (Redline) post #4
I have a set of calipers and measured the OD of the diameter of the bearing after pulled out of the bearing cup that came with the crank. It measures 47MM OD (without cup) all the way across the bearing. (no tapering)

On the frame the diameter measures almost 45 mm and tapers to 42.50 mm. I think it would tear the bearing apart or the area that accepts the bearing on the frame if i try to beat it in.

i dont think this frame has removable cups??

Here are the new bearings with one removed from the bearing cup that came with the crank. I cant use the black cup with the bearing, that makes it way to big.

Last edited:
J

jawn

bearings do not fit, help? (Redline) post #5
They are removable cups Candyman.

ozzy

ozzy

bearings do not fit, help? (Redline) post #6
dude that silver u see in the frame is the cup. pop it out and put the new 1s in.

R

Robf781

bearings do not fit, help? (Redline) post #7
Yep, that tapered section is the bearing cup. Try a piece of steel bar that fits through the hole in one side and place it behind the opposite cup and hit it with a lump hammer (from the opposite side) at opposite points till it starts to come out, should be fine.

C

Candyman

bearings do not fit, help? (Redline) post #8
i will give it ago...will get back with you guys with the results. I had no idea those were removable.

Last edited:
C

Candyman

bearings do not fit, help? (Redline) post #9
Bearings are in, crank is installed. Its all good!!! Thanks for the help guys!!!
Its wheelie time!!!

Justin

Justin

bearings do not fit, help? (Redline) post #10
Bearings are in, crank is installed. Its all good!!! Thanks for the help guys!!!
Its wheelie time!!!
Wheelie time? Hell YEAH!!!!!

Glad to hear you got it working. Have fun!

R

Robf781

bearings do not fit, help? (Redline) post #11
Well done mate and enjoy riding it.

New Topics