BB makes cracking noises

• Discuss BB makes cracking noises in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; when im pedaling. my bottom bracket makes crack noises. it doesnt happen every once a rotation though. could this be because it too tight what? ...
N

nathan_a_ev

BB makes cracking noises post #1
when im pedaling. my bottom bracket makes crack noises. it doesnt happen every once a rotation though. could this be because it too tight what?

N

nathan_a_ev

BB makes cracking noises post #2
come on!!

Jake Eats Cake

Jake Eats Cake

BB makes cracking noises post #3
could try regreasing your bb i had the same problem and once i greased it up it stopped cracking

Levimoody

Levimoody

BB makes cracking noises post #4
Im pretty sure it is your pedals....Try re greasing them.

I have answered 3 of these Questions today.Try looking back maybe??

D

Dylan Haro

BB makes cracking noises post #5
Take it apart and regrease the cranks/bb

I

IFlipBMXBikes

BB makes cracking noises post #6
Hey man I know exactly what you are talking about! My bike is ****ing doing it too and it is pissing me off!!!!! Im riding a Specialized and it has been doing it ever since I walked out of the store with it, what are you riding? It seems like the chain might be skipping, but only sometimes? I don;t know but it needs to get fixed yesterday.

LukeyEL

LukeyEL

BB makes cracking noises post #7
Hey man I know exactly what you are talking about! My bike is ****ing doing it too and it is pissing me off!!!!! Im riding a Specialized and it has been doing it ever since I walked out of the store with it, what are you riding? It seems like the chain might be skipping, but only sometimes? I don;t know but it needs to get fixed yesterday.
Its funny u say that. I stripped down and regreased my crank and bearings etc. for a full regrease about 1 week ago. And since then my crank has been making an almighty cracking sound aswell. Im 99% sure though that the problem is that the crank arms are done up really tight on the splines (on the crank axle) and every now n then (for wat reason i dont know) they slip just the tiniest bit. Even the tiniest movement when done up heaps tight will make a nice cracking sound.

As my bike is a specialized im thinking we have the same cranks to (mines a 3piece on an 03 vegas) so therefore im sure we have the same problem.

My bike did it when i first got it, then didnt for ages, but now after a regrease is doing it again.

I think i may take of the arms again and apply loctite to the spline and the threads of the bolts. Ill let everyone know if it helps.

Hope this helps :)

Luke.

I

IFlipBMXBikes

BB makes cracking noises post #8
Turns out my problem is the rear sprocket. I would assume that yours would be as well, even though it sounds like it is coming from the crank.

D

Deliciouspeed

BB makes cracking noises post #9
I'd like my bike to be totally silent. At one point I started going crazy. I was riding loose ball jimc's mag, powerbites w/ euro bb and an odyssey cassette. All fairly new, when the sound started getting to me. I greased everything. No change. I replaced everything one by one upgrading to sealed pedals and a profile cassette. I've come to the conclussion that the noise I hear is the sum of all the drivetrain parts. I've had to adjust to it. But I'm still crazy :hihi:

PhoenixBMX

PhoenixBMX

BB makes cracking noises post #10
Levimoody said:
I have answered 3 of these Questions today
wow, arent you responsible...grease all metal on metal contact points and you should be right. dont put too much lube on the chain or it will attract little bits of shit(not literally i hope) and cause it to be even noisier

J

jeffreykicks777

BB makes cracking noises post #11
Lube your pedals, I had the exact same problem. Take that end cap off and lube in there. It should go away within a couple of minutes.

LukeyEL

LukeyEL

BB makes cracking noises post #12
Turns out my problem is the rear sprocket. I would assume that yours would be as well, even though it sounds like it is coming from the crank.
Oh ok. What exactly was wrong with it ?

I

IFlipBMXBikes

BB makes cracking noises post #13
Oh ok. What exactly was wrong with it ?
Well it was a brand new bike, and they put a new one on, so I really don;t have a clue what was wrong with it.

If your pedals are making a cracking sound, and if it seems your chain might be skipping sometimes then you need a new freewheel. Lube isn't going to help you.

M

metalfattch

BB makes cracking noises post #14
hit it with some wd-40. clean that all off. then hit it with some tri-flow or some other thing lubrication or grease and make sure everything is tight!

bmxertroy

bmxertroy

BB makes cracking noises post #15
Take out your Bottom Bracket clean the bearing and bearing cups on the bike regrease with new grease and do the same for your pedals.

LukeyEL

LukeyEL

BB makes cracking noises post #16
Take out your Bottom Bracket clean the bearing and bearing cups on the bike regrease with new grease and do the same for your pedals.
In my case, this is what brought on the cracking noise again :(

I regreased my pedal bearings and that made no difference.

I do now think its just the freewheel.:hmm:

N

nathan_a_ev

BB makes cracking noises post #17
wow, arent you responsible...grease all metal on metal contact points and you should be right. dont put too much lube on the chain or it will attract little bits of shit(not literally i hope) and cause it to be even noisier
hahaha lil bits of shit. so yeah i regreased my whole bb real well but its still making the sounds. i know for sure its my bb because it only started happening after i took it apart.

R

rfitzgerald

BB makes cracking noises post #18
i have the same problem with the cracking noise. i searched and found many already existing threads, including this one, so i figured i'd just continue posting my dumb question here rather than starting a new one. many people seem to be giving the advice of greasing all gears/bearings/etc., is it likely that's my problem here with the cracking noise near my BB since i haven't ridden my bike too much over the winter? we had an awful winter here in new england (70+ inches of snow) so i had no where to ride from december-february.

i typically ride with soundproof headphones in (don't judge i acknowledge this isn't wise) so i can't hear anything, but i rode my bike in the rain a week back without headphones and didn't notice any cracking sounds or couldn't feel anything clicking but sunday, again without headphones, i went on a ride and heard the cracking noise and i could feel it as well...probably just need a lot of greasing? or is it possible dirt/pebbles got in somewhere near my BB from riding in the rain?

still very new to the forums, don't flame please :p

kylekavo

kylekavo

BB makes cracking noises post #19
i have the same problem with the cracking noise. i searched and found many already existing threads, including this one, so i figured i'd just continue posting my dumb question here rather than starting a new one. many people seem to be giving the advice of greasing all gears/bearings/etc., is it likely that's my problem here with the cracking noise near my BB since i haven't ridden my bike too much over the winter? we had an awful winter here in new england (70+ inches of snow) so i had no where to ride from december-february.

i typically ride with soundproof headphones in (don't judge i acknowledge this isn't wise) so i can't hear anything, but i rode my bike in the rain a week back without headphones and didn't notice any cracking sounds or couldn't feel anything clicking but sunday, again without headphones, i went on a ride and heard the cracking noise and i could feel it as well...probably just need a lot of greasing? or is it possible dirt/pebbles got in somewhere near my BB from riding in the rain?

still very new to the forums, don't flame please :p
read the dates, and, take cranks off, regrease bb, grease the arms before putting back on, tighten properly. if it still happens do the same to pedals, check chain alignment and oil the chain.

W

Well Spoken Man

BB makes cracking noises post #20
it's more likely to be your cranks or your chain than your bottom bracket. if it was your bottom bracket it should be making a grinding noise, really. if it's an old chain, it'll likely be stretched and will need to be replaced, especially if it skips once in a while (you'll know because there'll be a loud crack and the cranks will jump forward while you're riding)

also, check your sprocket. it won't be the one making the noise, but if it looks like this, you'll need to replace it along with the chain (and possibly your freewheel/driver)

cranks - make sure the bolts aren't loose. remove them, grease them and put it back together.

New Topics