Bash Guard for BMX?

• Discuss Bash Guard for BMX? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey, anyone here know if there are such things as bashguards for BMX? :doh... ...
  • Tags bike bmx bmx bike bmx sprocket old bmx
X Boarder

X Boarder

Bash Guard for BMX? post #1
F

federal_rider12

Bash Guard for BMX? post #2
oh yeah there is i got one on my fsa grinder. there are 2 kinds, full guard and quarter guards

mostly all look different just check out mailorders and take a look[/list]

X Boarder

X Boarder

Bash Guard for BMX? post #3
sweet

Nice. What's the difference between full guard and quarter guard? I mean, wouldn't quarter guard be better because you only need it in that place anyway, and it would be lighter too? What are the advantages of a fullguard?

trask

trask

Bash Guard for BMX? post #4
sprocket for bashguard

Hey, check out the FQ industries Funktion Sprocket. It will let you run any 4-bolt mountain bike bash-guard. It is available in 36t and 32t. Check it out at http://www.fqindustries.com

X Boarder

X Boarder

Bash Guard for BMX? post #5
oh

OH, so there are no bash guards speicaly made for BMX bikes, you have to go and get a custom sprocket that allows MTB bashguards to be put on?

F

federal_rider12

Bash Guard for BMX? post #6
no no no those ones i showed you are made for bmx you will find dozens of them for bmx. the reason for a full guard so to protect the chainwheel all the way around because some guys dont not grind in just one spot, like me and lots of other people, but if you grind with only a certain foot forward then the quarter will do great im using a quarter guard, but as of weight most full guards are not as thick as quarter guards but they might add a few ounces nothing big

X Boarder

X Boarder

Bash Guard for BMX? post #7
asdf

How do you put a bashguard on?? I see there are holes on it, indicating you would need some sort of screws? Because my chainwheel has no holes in it for screws.. so would i have to drill some ..or something?

Thanks

F

federal_rider12

Bash Guard for BMX? post #8
you could do that but mostly everyone buys a new chainwheel, and some chainwheels are not thick enough to take abuse that a guard is meant to take so then if your chainwheel isnt very thick at all then you need to buy a new chainwheel so it be able to take abuse. also guards have certain bolt patterns quite a few use the same pattern, i think 110mm, but some are different and some use more or less bolts then others

trask

trask

Bash Guard for BMX? post #9
bashguards

Here is the skinny.

Most BMX bashguards are designed to work with specific sprockets (i.e. the FBM sprocket with 1/4 guard). These guards are incompatible with other sprockets. Some BMX sprockets like the old Kink sprocket use the 110 B.C.D. (bolt circle diameter) standard for old BMX chainrings and old MTB chainrings. To use a bashguard on an existing chainring, it has to be drilled for one. I suggested the FQ industries Funktion Sprocket because it is compatible with any 4-bolt MTB guard. Why is that good? Because there are about 8 times as many choices of MTB guards on the market, and your local shop has them in stock right now. You also have the choice of alluminum (Race Face makes a light weight and strong one) or clear lexan plastic (which grinds awesome - E-13 is the munufacturer). The other type is the sprocket/guard that is machined out of one piece of alluminum. If you have any more questions let me know.

F

federal_rider12

Bash Guard for BMX? post #10
i think you mean chainwheel, because a chainring in bmx(cept for racing) is junk it would snap in no time

S

sandmriderbmx

Bash Guard for BMX? post #11
Re: sweet

X Boarder said:
Nice. What's the difference between full guard and quarter guard? I mean, wouldn't quarter guard be better because you only need it in that place anyway, and it would be lighter too? What are the advantages of a fullguard?
the only advantage i could think of was if you like to grind on both sides and have a diff foot forward when u grind on the other side

trask

trask

Bash Guard for BMX? post #12
full vs. partial

It does not matter if it is full or 1/4 size, until you do something and wish you had the other size that you do not have. The only real downfall to the partial guards is that they are specific to the brand of sprocket. If you want to replace it two years from now, then you run the chance of it being obselete or the company could be out of business. The quote-unquote "mountain bike bash guards" just follow a standard sizing (94 mm BCD, 110 mm BCD, 104 MM BCD, and a couple of others not worth mentioning). So, to call them "mountain bike bash guards" is a little narrow focussed. Just like two years ago, calling english B/B shells for mini's and race bikes only. In the end it does not really matter. If you want the lightest set-up, then go weigh the parts and get those. If you want durability, then find the most burly parts. Either way, if you use it then you are riding (which is much more than I can say right now).

F

federal_rider12

Bash Guard for BMX? post #13
actually lots of companies use the 110mm bolt pattern, like kink animal metal odyssey now there could be more but i dont know those all say they run a 110mm bolt pattern so the guard could be run on any chainwheel

New Topics