Bad brakes!!

• Discuss Bad brakes!! in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hello! Maybe it´s a stupid question, but ... I have baught my first BMX bike, a "specialized fuse II". The problem I have with that the brakes... ...
  • Tags bike bikes bmx bmx bike bmx bikes mountain bike shop
H

husky2

Bad brakes!! post #1
Hello!
Maybe it´s a stupid question, but ...

I have baught my first BMX bike, a "specialized fuse II".
The problem I have with that the brakes only exist by name!
The man in the bikeshop told me that all BMX bikes have bad brakes.
I have tried out soft brakepads from a mountainbike, but thats only a little bit better.
He also told me that there is a V-brake kit available, but i dont want to pay so much.

Who has some ideas?, are there any tricks to make the brake working?

Hannes

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Bad brakes!! post #2
ok well dont even think about trying to put a v-brake on your ride. i am guessing that this is pretty much your first, time at adjusting u-brakes, and they are prety *** sometimes, but the truth is that even brakes which are just "standard" and unlabled can be dialed in quite well.

heres my advice i always give people as far as brakes go, spend alot of time working out how to dial them in - this is very important.

if you are using a gyro (eg sst with a 2 to 1 cable set up) and dont REALLY NEED it eg if you are not doing several barspins and tailwhips one after another, you should consider changing your set up to a single brake cable on the rear, this wil instantly increase breaking power.

make sure your internal cables are very well lubbed, and have not sharp internal parts which are ristricting brake cable movement.

make sure that the tension in the brake springs have a good tension.

makes sure that your pads are as close to your rim as possible without letting the pads rub on your rim.

if you dont have a chrome rim eg a black anodized one, try putting a layer of tar on on, you can get this from most good bike shops.

try sanding the top surface of your brake pads to make them a little rough and less slic (if they are new)

try softer brake pads

some people have had success with boiling there brake pads in hot (boiling) water. some people find that this makes the pads more pliable.

fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

Bad brakes!! post #3
Replace your brake pads with nice big spikes.

.....It could work. *sarcastic face*

RuLe

RuLe

Bad brakes!! post #4
get ketchup and a rag, (works best on chrome rims) put some ketchup on the rap and flip your bike over and spin the back tire and put it on the rim all the way around tell u cant see the ketchup but dont wipe it off. anyways wait 1min then ride for like 2mins so it drys better then push your brakes and it should stop because ketchup makes it sticky unless you dont no how to tighten the brakes... anyways i got thsi from bmxtest

H

husky2

Bad brakes!! post #5
Hello Shrapnel.

I think i will try to boil the pads, thtat sounds possible, compared to the ketchup method.

hannes

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Bad brakes!! post #6
well i am not sure if it will work, i have just heard of a few people doing it. but if you have a black rim, i would really recommend tar, as it will last quite a long time, does actually work, and you cant even really see it (if your rime is black)

F

federal_rider12

Bad brakes!! post #7
yeah v brakes go on race bikes u brakes are for street, dirt, park, and flatland and also you could try new springs in the brakes or just have them loosened but either one of those you better let a shop deal with unless you are very good at working on a bike

i run cheap tektro's which everyone hates and well i bought a fiesta brake upgrade kit and now they work just as good or better then the u brakes that people pay $20 or more for and i only paid $8 for the kit

D

ddw

Bad brakes!! post #8
the problem with your brakes is the mountain bike mechanic that put it together. You'd think they could figure it out somewhere in the world. I've work in a bike shop for 10 years(it doesn't matter how old I am) and those guys never can get bmx bikes figured out. the fuse II comes with tektro's that work pretty damn good if set up right. after you lube everything up and get the cables and gyro sliding smoothly, check the tension of the springs on your brakes. they probably didn't tighten the springs when they hooked the brakes up. you can use a 13mm wrench(or an adjustable) and a 5mm allen wrench to fix it. put the 13mm wrench on the adjuster bolt(around the allen bolt) on the right side brake arm and turn it about a quarter turn or so counter clockwise until you get some good tension, then re-tighten the allen bolt(clockwise). do the left side the same way except turn the adjustment bolt clockwise for more tension. I didn't mean to write a book about it or nothing, but i hope this helps.

F

federal_rider12

Bad brakes!! post #9
ddw said:
the problem with your brakes is the mountain bike mechanic that put it together. You'd think they could figure it out somewhere in the world. I've work in a bike shop for 10 years(it doesn't matter how old I am) and those guys never can get bmx bikes figured out. the fuse II comes with tektro's that work pretty damn good if set up right. after you lube everything up and get the cables and gyro sliding smoothly, check the tension of the springs on your brakes. they probably didn't tighten the springs when they hooked the brakes up. you can use a 13mm wrench(or an adjustable) and a 5mm allen wrench to fix it. put the 13mm wrench on the adjuster bolt(around the allen bolt) on the right side brake arm and turn it about a quarter turn or so counter clockwise until you get some good tension, then re-tighten the allen bolt(clockwise). do the left side the same way except turn the adjustment bolt clockwise for more tension. I didn't mean to write a book about it or nothing, but i hope this helps.
yeah i noticed that bike shops that mainly deal with mountain and road bikes cant do a bmx bike, even though they get all this new stuff that is complicated but easy when you get to working on it(i.e hydrualic brakes which i think is pretty much just like car brakes which ive mastered fixing car brakes) and hell i asked the guys at a shop near me if they could get in cassette hubs and the guy looked at me as if i were a 5 year old making up words i mean they didnt understand half the things i knew and couldnt even get my crank arm off my bike!!! (i didnt have a crank tool) but with a little thought i pop my crank arm right off, very stubburn and stuck on, but they wont hire me i guess because i either know more then them or they think im a totally retard and i dont know a thing about fixing a bike even though they saw my bike after i built it up

D

ddw

Bad brakes!! post #10
it's amazing after working with so many people in a shop how little they know about bikes in general, especially bmx. Luckily they've turned all the bmx fixin' over to me now that i've showed them how stupid they are. Some people got it, some don't. My only problem is that I'm a hell of alot better mechanic than I am a rider, but I still love it and will ride until I can't anymore.

C

casperh

Bad brakes!! post #11
whats your age then

F

federal_rider12

Bad brakes!! post #12
same here im better at mechanic then riding but i plan on evening things out or make my riding better then my bmx mechanic abilities

F

federal_rider12

Bad brakes!! post #13
oh yeah im pretty good at fixing and building mountain bikes but i hate dealing with the gears just setting them up and dialing them in so they dont over shoot the or under shoot the gear

F

FlawlessBMXr

Bad brakes!! post #14
just use simple green man. it works the best. just scrub the crap out of ur rim (works best on chrome rims) and sand down ur brake pads and ur set. good luck

D

ddw

Bad brakes!! post #15

F

federal_rider12

Bad brakes!! post #16
rubbing alcohol is what i use to clean rims and the bike shop i go to does the same thing but brakes not working well can be many different things so start with the easiest cheapest thing clean rims and sand the pads then move up to buying softer pads if that dont work adjust the tension of the springs if that dont work buy new springs if that dont work its time for new brakes, but if you do the repair right all brakes will work good

oh yeah and if you have to pull the brake like to the grip then pull some of the slack out of the cable and tighten down, but when tightening the cable make sure all the adjusting barrels are loosend so if the cable stretches a little later you can start adjusting the barrels and they wont be to the max

New Topics