Back Brake

• Discuss Back Brake in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hi everyone Im just wondering but when i was looking at bike checks a noticed loads of people with only a back brake with the cable running across... ...
E

ellb123

Back Brake post #1
Hi everyone

Im just wondering but when i was looking at bike checks a noticed loads of people with only a back brake with the cable running across the side with no gyro

Does this mean they can't barspin or x-up?

sorry if this is a stupid question im new

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Back Brake post #2
if you leave your cable long enough, you can do at least one full barspin, sometimes two. also, linear cables (different from regular brake cables) keep the brake from binding up when bending at hard angles.

if you do a barspin with a straight cable, you just have to un-wind the cable by doing a barspin the opposite way after you land before you try it again.

G

goldendragon

Back Brake post #3
I don't recomend bar-spins or tail-whips with only a straight cable but x-ups will be ok since you don't fully rotate. I only say this because I had a bike with a straight cable and tried these and it destroyed the cable where the levers were.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Back Brake post #4
I had a bike with a straight cable and tried these and it destroyed the cable where the levers were.
that can be easily resolved. did you have a zip tie or velcro strap or anything on your bars holding your cable close to the cross bar? that usually keeps the cable from getting kinked right near the brake lever.

G

goldendragon

Back Brake post #5
Nope, it was a race bike and when I wasn't on the track I would take the pads off of the bars and that was where the cable was put, but when I was on the free-style track it was off and that was when it busted. Of course this was about seven years ago when my uncle was schooling me in BMX.

A

AlexB

Back Brake post #6
You can, it's the same, but you have to twist it back after. My friend could do 3 full rotations before having to do them oppisit and it didn't look like a super-long table.

L

Lay

Back Brake post #7
Hi everyone

Im just wondering but when i was looking at bike checks a noticed loads of people with only a back brake with the cable running across the side with no gyro

Does this mean they can't barspin or x-up?

sorry if this is a stupid question im new
Welcome man :D. That is not a stupid question and is totally reasonable. Yes you can barspin/X-up with a straight cable. They have something called a linear Cable that doesn't tighten your cable when spining the bars. The difference between and gyro and a straight, is that it keeps the weight down and is more convieniant with setting up the brakes. :D

New Topics