Axles..I really need help fast please respond!

M

MetalBikez

Axles..I really need help fast please respond! post #1
OK, heres the story: I bought new rims off of ebay. They came in today and have 14mm axles on them. The space where the wheel slides in isnt big enough. I think it needs a 3/8 axle because 3/8 is smaller.

my question is, will a 3/8axle fit a hub that came with a 14mm axle?

Thank you alot in adavance!
See ya,
Andrew

S

sandmriderbmx

Axles..I really need help fast please respond! post #2
yes, but youll need to replace the bearings inside with bigger ones, i would suggest just drilling yur dropouts bigger

R

rocket

Axles..I really need help fast please respond! post #3
yeah..dont change the axels!!! you should really consider getting new forks or grind the dropouts on your 3/8" forks untill you get new ones.

M

MetalBikez

Axles..I really need help fast please respond! post #4
hey thanks alot! I had the idea of drilling or grinding them out, I wanted to make sure it was OK to do it..Ive had bad luck with 3/8 axles bending :roll: but it definetly should take a harder hit before the 14mm bend :lol:

thanks guys! :D

F

federal_rider12

Axles..I really need help fast please respond! post #5
no a 3/8 axle will not fit a 14mm axle hub just grind out your drop outs to fit the 14mm axle

S

sandmriderbmx

Axles..I really need help fast please respond! post #6
federal_rider12 said:
no a 3/8 axle will not fit a 14mm axle hub just grind out your drop outs to fit the 14mm axle
yeah it will but youll have to rebuild the hub completly so its not really even the same hub anymore

F

federal_rider12

Axles..I really need help fast please respond! post #7
you would have to get special bearings to fit and all the nuts to fit so its a big waste of money grind the drop outs save money and time and the hardship of trying to find certain bearings and you will like never find the certain size for the cones and lock nuts so really its a butt load of special made stuff so lots of money huge waste of time and money not worth it at all. just grind the drop outs

R

rocket

Axles..I really need help fast please respond! post #8
thats what we all said to begin with. :?

K

kam_holmes

Axles..I really need help fast please respond! post #9
will it not effect the drop outs at all if you drill them? what about drilling the drop-outs on forks? i would like my S&M holmes frame to be 14mm but i have worried about drilling the dropouts. ive wanted to grind and do peg tricks but i dont think my 10mm axles can take it. lol.

thanks

S

sandmriderbmx

Axles..I really need help fast please respond! post #10
so drill them out, wont hurt the frame at all

F

federal_rider12

Axles..I really need help fast please respond! post #11
just as long as the drop outs arent so small that you grind them to 14mm that there is like almost no more drop out, you have no worries im sure there is enough room to fit 14mm in there. but just measure so you know how much to grind out. 3/8 is like 10mm so you grind out 4mm from the drop out but maybe grind a little more then 14mm but very very very sligthly more dont got to 15mm dont even go up to 14.5mm

New Topics