axels

• Discuss axels in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; are there any 14mm axels that are stronger than others or sumthing? cuase im anbout to buy one ...
  • Tags bike
S

sentaafEQpovar

axels post #1
are there any 14mm axels that are stronger than others or sumthing?

cuase im anbout to buy one

RuLe

RuLe

axels post #2
yea 14mm titanium

M

Mr_Shrapnel

axels post #3
or for less cash...heat treated cro-mo

S

sentaafEQpovar

axels post #4
what are the prices of both those, arent most 14mm axles about 15-20$?

RuLe

RuLe

axels post #5
titanum is the strongest and lightest metal around. but its like 32.99 at www.danscomp.com

M

Mr_Shrapnel

axels post #6
well,, the above statement is not actually true, but i wont get into all the technical crap now.

oh and sentaaf and just because you CAN get titanium and heat treated cro-mo axles, they may not be available for YOUR hub so check out who makes you hub and ask that company. and the price varies between company to company so...

I

infantry43RIDER

axels post #7
ill get into the tech stuff.

titanium is strong yes...but not actually as strong as good old chromoly...the reason bike companies turn to ti as an alternative is because of its light weight...for all those weight conscious.
id rather just pay less for the chromo which is stronger than opt for the lighter.

L

LuMpY

axels post #8
Aluminum is lighter than ti too.

S

sentaafEQpovar

axels post #9
yeah i went to bicycle store and found out that diff hubs have diff axels

i got a free agent hub, thats all i know... it has a round inside too... kinda fat.... do all free agent hubs have same axel, or will diff free agent hubs have diff axels?

sealed bearings

and theres a bike store down the street that carries free agent, but they ar elike gear bikes and stuff

X

XIII

axels post #10
F

federal_rider12

axels post #11
actually ive known people not to go with ti since, i dunno how, it isnt as strong as the heat treated chromoly. ive heard guys say aluminum is the lightest, ti is strong but a bit heavier, chromoly the heaviest and the strongest. but from what i see ti is pretty strong but the reason to bring it out is to lower the weight of ur bike but just buy a heat treated chromoly axle which runs like $20

S

sentaafEQpovar

axels post #13
yay offtopic

where do i get free agent sealed 14mm axles?

one question, any chance that free agent would make more than one type of 14mm sealed axle... or if i just got any random 14mm free agent sealed axle... it would definatly fit my hub?

F

federal_rider12

axels post #14
um if u got a tape measurer with millimeters then measure then length between the 2 bearing braces(the humps in the axle) and go to Albe's and u put in the length and they might have a scroll thingy with free agent hub down there but otherwise go to a bike shop and they can measure it and order one without u gettin a headache

I

infantry43RIDER

axels post #15
LuMpY said:
Aluminum is lighter than ti too.
yes true...but by like nothing...i would get ti over aluminum like if i was into the weight stuff.

S

sentaafEQpovar

axels post #16
good thing im not into racing or a wieght freak so i need niether... any ideas on my problem?

I

infantry43RIDER

axels post #17
go to Dr. Phil.

F

federal_rider12

axels post #18
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ^^^^^

good one

New Topics