Assemblying my brakes - help?!

• Discuss Assemblying my brakes - help?! in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey! I'm new to this forum and I'm also new to bmx-bikes. I got my new Haro bike today and I've got problems assemblying it! Especially the brakes... ...
  • Tags bike gt
B

bakalla

Assemblying my brakes - help?! post #1
Hey!

I'm new to this forum and I'm also new to bmx-bikes. I got my new Haro bike today and I've got problems assemblying it! Especially the brakes are tricky. I managed to install the front brake and most of the rear brakes. But I can't fit the rear wires into the brakes properly. I got two pictures of it so you can see the problem. One side of the rear brake doesn't move at all :( How do I get the rear brake to work?? Help!

To clarify, the actual brake pads are not moving. I can get the one on the right side to move, but not the one on the left! Since there is only one cable coming from the front part of the bike, how do I get that one cable to move both brake pads?

Clutch

Clutch

Assemblying my brakes - help?! post #2
Ummm, I have no idea what you are trying to do... Are you wanting a dual cable setup or just a single?

If you want to run two cables ie: if you are running a gryo you should have two cables, if not you can run one straight. But you'll need an adapter(If you are running a straight cable) for the one brake arm on thos Tektros of your.

Showing pictures is cool and all, but we also need to know what you are wanting to do, and whether or not you have a gyro etc etc.

PS: That cable in the one pic is bent pretty nicely, you really want to keep them pretty straight, and where is the outer shell of it?

Uhg, I really have to get going to work... Sorry I wish I could have been more help.

B

bakalla

Assemblying my brakes - help?! post #3
Clutch said:
Ummm, I have no idea what you are trying to do... Are you wanting a dual cable setup or just a single?.
I have gyro and single cable setup I guess. I got the little adapter thing as you can see in the 1st picture I posted.

I'd REALLY appreciate any further assistance! :D

T

Trimix

Assemblying my brakes - help?! post #4
I know exactly what you are trying to do, and I wish more people would post a pic instead of just asking stupid questions. Good job, it helps.

Here is something to model

1) That cable you show in your last picture, is the cable that you "field adjust" the length and use it to tie the two caliper arms together. You should also have a little cradle for that wire to hang in. You tie your brake cable to THAT adapter and it pulls from both sides. Just like in the above pic.

2) You need to make sure that EACH brake arm is sprung, and returning to it's normal position also. If they are not moving, I suspect your springs are not adjusted. There is a spring in each mount, you need an allen wrench (hex key) and a spanner to adjust it. Play with them, you'll figure them out.

3) When you make the final adjustment, and connect in the final main brake cable, you want the brake pads agianst the rims, so use some sort of string, rubber band, etc to hold the brakes CLOSED. Route the main cable into the cradle and tighten it down, then remove the item holding your calipers and adjust using the thumb screw adjustments along the main cable.

Hope that helps!

B

bakalla

Assemblying my brakes - help?! post #5
@Trimix: Amazing!! That helps more than you can imagine and all my problems are now solved! :D Thanks a lot for going through the trouble of explaining how to do it! 8)

old_school_goose

old_school_goose

Assemblying my brakes - help?! post #6
another satified customer of trimix!

I

infantry43RIDER

Assemblying my brakes - help?! post #7
trimix is certainly the master at the diagrams! haha.

T

Trimix

Assemblying my brakes - help?! post #8
You owe Clutch and me $20 bucks each. HAHA

Seriously, I am glad to help....and pics are really the best way sometimes.

Canadian_BMX

Canadian_BMX

Assemblying my brakes - help?! post #9
Trimix said:
I know exactly what you are trying to do, and I wish more people would post a pic instead of just asking stupid questions. Good job, it helps.

Here is something to model

1) That cable you show in your last picture, is the cable that you "field adjust" the length and use it to tie the two caliper arms together. You should also have a little cradle for that wire to hang in. You tie your brake cable to THAT adapter and it pulls from both sides. Just like in the above pic.

2) You need to make sure that EACH brake arm is sprung, and returning to it's normal position also. If they are not moving, I suspect your springs are not adjusted. There is a spring in each mount, you need an allen wrench (hex key) and a spanner to adjust it. Play with them, you'll figure them out.

3) When you make the final adjustment, and connect in the final main brake cable, you want the brake pads agianst the rims, so use some sort of string, rubber band, etc to hold the brakes CLOSED. Route the main cable into the cradle and tighten it down, then remove the item holding your calipers and adjust using the thumb screw adjustments along the main cable.

Hope that helps!
hey trimix...after the thing that hooks the main brake cable to the pad part i hav this plastic thing that crosses the cable to make an X. Is this bad??? does any1 else hav this???

T

Trimix

Assemblying my brakes - help?! post #10
You have a cable that can do an Xup. I have no idea, but DAMN my bike looks dirty!!!!

Clutch

Clutch

Assemblying my brakes - help?! post #11
Trimix said:
You owe Clutch and me $20 bucks each. HAHA

Seriously, I am glad to help....and pics are really the best way sometimes.
I think you'll have to take all that, I just wasn't on the ball with this one...

Pics are good if you get all the pics you need in there, before there was only the two...

Cheers,

Josh

New Topics