Approaching jumps

• Discuss Approaching jumps in the Dirt Jumping forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I've been to a few trails, but haven't really gone flat out on the jumps as I've just been taking in the other more seasoned riders doing their stuff... ...
D

Dirtchad

Approaching jumps post #1
I've been to a few trails, but haven't really gone flat out on the jumps as I've just been taking in the other more seasoned riders doing their stuff.

Could the more experienced riders give me some advice on how to approach a jump, the speeds, balancing, the landing, and some general 'pulling out' tips in mid air just in case things don't turn out as I'd like?

Cheers.

Pau1

Pau1

Approaching jumps post #2
ask the riders that you watch. i'm sure they would be glad to help you.

it all depends on the size of the jump for how much speed you need. generally.
just stay loose in the air. if you are too tense, you'll jump crooked and you won't have that feeling of control.

RCmafiABMX

RCmafiABMX

Approaching jumps post #3
It helped a bit for me to have a bit more of my body weight towards the back. You definetly just have to clear your mind and go for it though. Don't be afraid to fall its only dirt.

Biggles

Biggles

Approaching jumps post #4
You're thinking about it and trying to unlock a secret to jumping that doesn't actually exist.

All you can do with bmxing is learn by trying, failing, and eventually succeeding.

B

bikerkid44

Approaching jumps post #5
I've been to a few trails, but haven't really gone flat out on the jumps as I've just been taking in the other more seasoned riders doing their stuff.

Could the more experienced riders give me some advice on how to approach a jump, the speeds, balancing, the landing, and some general 'pulling out' tips in mid air just in case things don't turn out as I'd like?

Cheers.
I'm in the same situation, same question

4341Krew

4341Krew

Approaching jumps post #6
if your not falling your not trying

seriously

if i think about it to much i get scared that i cant do it
so you just have to go for it

bmxburt

bmxburt

Approaching jumps post #7
main thing is go for it!! once you do you'll wonder why u got so worked up, like the other day i tried hitting this big step up, i dint make it, my front wheel hit the lip of the landing but i was lucky and rode away, main thing is have ur elbows level (i think) saw it on a video, this will help u take off straight, theres loads of different ways u can hit the jumps, at my local place we have "the 8 pack" and if u wanna get through all the jumps u have to stay as low as possible on the 1st jump, theres soo many different things u can do u just need to go and try. and i think id rather over clear a jump than case it.

B

bikerkid44

Approaching jumps post #8
well I came from mtbing so bmx feels really weird to me and I'm new to it... I definitely have eaten shit a lot already. I think my problem is I'm not used to the smaller bike, steeper head angle, and the steeper takeoff (on dirt jumps) and this is all making me lean back to far...

M

Marcus Poopy

Approaching jumps post #9
i know a kid whos been riding for like 2 years and hasnt dropped in yet for some reason, i know it, he knows it and everyone knows that he can do it cuz its easy peasy and not scary, but he just wont do it.

H

Hermes

Approaching jumps post #10
DO NOT freze up in the air, stay loose and calm...

manualking

manualking

Approaching jumps post #11
I had the same problem but soon as my front tire hit the ramp ny mind would go clear and all of a sudden you just float in the air. trust me soon as you jump theres no fear. just do it.

H

Hermes

Approaching jumps post #12
^lean back if you use this meathod^

kevinwewe

kevinwewe

Approaching jumps post #13
i had the same problem and i just didnt want to try jumping anything but somhow my big bro always got me to try it and now he is in the navy so i just suck it up and jump now i honestly have no fear at all any more

V

VancouverKEN

Approaching jumps post #14
Honestly the longer you wait to do it the harder it gets. People online cant really describe how to ride the trails you want to learn on. One little thing can make the trails you want to ride 100x different than the trails we ride. But everyone that saidf loosen up in the air is right. Just dont scare yourself. Stay centered above your bike. If you lean to far back you land in a manual if you lean forward to much you nose dive. The guy that told you to ask the people you've been watching ride is definatly right. They are the ones that know how to ride those specific trails so they could probably give you the best tips as to how you just those. Just stay loose and have fun. Dont stress yourself out. Trails really arent that scary. It really helps if you build your own. Then you can build them the way you want them and you will be more comfortable with them.

New Topics