An annoying crank

• Discuss An annoying crank in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Ive got an annoying crank that comes loose everytime Since ive solved the problem with my fork the crank is now the problem 1:Ive removed the crank... ...
  • Tags bike shop
@

@:::BMXdevil:::@

An annoying crank post #1
Ive got an annoying crank that comes loose everytime
Since ive solved the problem with my fork the crank is now the problem
1:Ive removed the crank and putted some oil and things on my arms and spindle and the bearings
2:I put it together and it was whole again and ita was tightened
3:Since I was riding the next day a couple of hours the crank was again loose
Specs of my crank
I use a forged 3pc crank (Virus Ice/BR crank)
I use looseball bearings (maybe thats the problem I dont think so)
The crank is not so old yet Ive got the problem now since a week and since I have a new sprocket I think thats the problem
This sprocket is thinner maybe thats the problem but the sprocket isnt loose. Ive never been bailing so hard)

@

An annoying crank post #2
O yes a poor kid in the netherlands :cry:

L

LuMpY

An annoying crank post #3
I am betting your crank arms came loose while riding one day and you didn't have any way to tighten them so you just rode them like that. BAD IDEA. If they come loose at all, stop riding and tighten them. When you ride them loose the arms flop back and forth on the spindle and will eventually deform the inside of the arms and they won't be able to hold on the taper of the spindle like they used to. If you are POSITIVE they are not wasted take the spindle bolts out, clean the threads in the spindle, cleans the bolts, put some blue loc-tite on them, and crank them down. If you aren't sure if they are trashed or not take your bike to a shop and have them check for you.

Is your crank steel? Aluminum?
Do you use a splined spindle?
Is it a square taper spindle?
Do your arms use pinch bolts?

@

An annoying crank post #4
i use a aluminium crank arms
my spindle is splined
its a round taper with curves to hold it tight
yeah a use pinch bolts

L

LuMpY

An annoying crank post #5
Now that you've told me that it's aluminum I'm even more convinced is trashed(the arm/s). If you have some spacers between the arms and bbyou may want to remove a couple if you have room. That will let your arms go further onto the spindle to get a better hold. If you do the loc-tite deal put some on the pinch bolts too. Take the arms off and look at the splines. Do they look bent, flattened, warped, ovalized, or anything like that??

@

An annoying crank post #6
I wasnt the one that looked but my father
I will look another time of there's something bent and ill replace it or
put some spacers between the crank and see if its working
If it doesnts work I will visit the local bikeshop
I don't think its that worse than you think lumpy but i will try your ideas :wink:

RuLe

RuLe

An annoying crank post #7
my haro backtrail i got had loose bolts so i tightned it and 2 days later it started making noise and i found out i tightned it to tight and it makes no noise anymore. so if anyoen ever has that problem try lossening everything and tighting it again but not to tight

L

LuMpY

An annoying crank post #8
NO, get it TIGHT.

RuLe

RuLe

An annoying crank post #9
mine is tight but i guess im so stroooong i tightened way to tight and the bearing or whatever much of be hiting / rubing the sides

L

LuMpY

An annoying crank post #10
Sides of what? If you have a 3pc and the sleeve is on the spindle it's almost impossible to puttoo much of a side load on the bearings.

RuLe

RuLe

An annoying crank post #11
yea its 3 piece. its the cheapest haro 3 piece tho

StreetIsTalkin

StreetIsTalkin

An annoying crank post #12
bringing the thread ack of bordom

New Topics