airing out...horrifying!

• Discuss airing out...horrifying! in the Park and Vert forum in area BMX-Forum Community; either its the fact that the only skatepark close it all concrete and picturing myself airing out and clipping the coping with my front wheel and face... ...
SilkkTheShocker

SilkkTheShocker

airing out...horrifying! post #1
either its the fact that the only skatepark close it all concrete and picturing myself airing out and clipping the coping with my front wheel and face smacking the ground kinda just makes me wanna slowly roll away from the park with my head down

anyone have some tips so i can start airing out :hmm:

The Radness

The Radness

airing out...horrifying! post #2
start practicing just by airing out halfway up

our park has a recessed quarter that is about a foot higher, so if you have somthing like that it helps too

just practice and take it at a pace your comfy with!

ktm125rider

ktm125rider

airing out...horrifying! post #3
just keep pratcing man eventually you will get alittle over copeing and so on. it takes alot of pratice or atleast it did for me. you cant go to the park one day and expect to air 2 feet higher. just take it slow, try it on diffrent quarters (some are easyer to air) and after awhile you will get it. good luck

SilkkTheShocker

SilkkTheShocker

airing out...horrifying! post #4
should i try and do it at an angle or going completely straight at it, theres a weird hip thing in a bowl there were i can transfer and get high out of the coping but its not like really airing out

do i pull up when i get to the top do i spin in the air or when i launchout?

ktm125rider

ktm125rider

airing out...horrifying! post #5
it is really hard to explain but ill try. on a steeper quarter you dont have to pull up or bunny hop as much but on a smaller one you have to jump harder. it depends on what angle you go at, if you feel like your going to fast then go at more of an angle and you wont go as high but if you want to go for height just go almost straigt then 180 and come back down. just go half way and see if you can do a full 180 then go faster every time and you will eventuall get above copeing. hope that helped

D

Dropsonde

airing out...horrifying! post #6
im starting out by airing really low, not over the coping. I accidentally went too fast and snagged my front wheel and fell off. hurt my hip but otherwise okay

I

iGamble

airing out...horrifying! post #7
Yeah man it just takes time. You'll get it don't give up just take it one step at a time.

G

goldendragon

airing out...horrifying! post #8
I never really had this problem. It seemed that one day I just went faster than I normally did and managed to get a foot of air over the coping. My fear is that I will over-spin or land in the flat(both of which I have done). I haven't yet had to deal with casing either my front or back tire.

My advice is to keep going at it faster and faster each try till eventually you air over and then you'll look back and wonder why was that so difficult to do.

R

RyanLikesBmx

airing out...horrifying! post #9
im not that great at park because the only one near me has a 3ft quater, a 3 ft flay bank and a tiny grind box, but when i have been to a quater, it helped to air like half way up, twist, and ride away, and as you get used to say 2 ft up, move up to 3 ft... and just keep going till you feel pro :) in the end you get up above the coping without realising really, but make sure when your in th air you position yourself so your not gna case, one time i tucked the front to land in the tranny, and the back wheel cased majorly, like disaster style, with my weight over the bars. sore leg, arm, and testicles after...be warned childrens!

Pyropro

Pyropro

airing out...horrifying! post #10
im starting out by airing really low, not over the coping. I accidentally went too fast and snagged my front wheel and fell off.
This is how I started. Really slow. I got pretty comfortable and started going over the coping. I did this a few times and was feeling pretty good of my accomplishments. However, I caught my rear tire and went over the bars (that sucked!!) and I picked myself up and did a couple of low ones again to re-align my technique. I got comfortable again and caught my back wheel again, and went over the bars again!! ::oops: Now I find myself hitting the brakes as I approach because my brain tells me I'm going to bite it again. I'm spooked and can't shake it. I also find myself not comitting to the rotation and that is part of the problem. If I can fix my head, I'll be able to air out again.

sixdegrees

sixdegrees

airing out...horrifying! post #11
Crashing is part of BMX. Ok, don't roll into the park expecting to eat concrete every 5 mins, but its a fact of BMX-life.... we crash!

Bigger / Steeper ramps are easier IMO to air out of.... less pulling away, less chance of clipping the coping, etc. Find one that is 6ft+ and work you way up to the coping, then progressin the same manner upwards imaginging the transition continues upwards the same way for another 1-2ft, just you have to pop the bike up onto this invisible transition.

Also, keep you weight centred or near the stem, don't lean back, and 'steer' when in the air pushing the front down as you come back in!

:)

zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz

airing out...horrifying! post #12
I agree with Sixdegrees, keep your weight over your stem or centered. I've always aired out and had my weight back. It's a bad habit to get into to. One thing, you're not over your stem so it's hard to push the front end down. Not a big deal on a quarter pipe, but it makes learning hips and spines (especially) more difficult. Plus, when you "throw" your weight back, you lose energy going up the ramp and consequently don't go as high.

What I try to do is watch the coping and make sure I see my front tire go over it. I know if my front tire clears the top of the coping by even an inch, I'll be over the coping by at least that much. Plus, it trains you to keep your eyes on the coping, which is a must.

Another thing about having your weight a little farther forward and your eyes on the coping is that you brain will just know when you are about to case or if you are too far out. It's like a sixth sense. If your weight is over the bars a little (we're not talking a lot here, just a bit), you are in the best position to either pull the front end out to keep from casing, or push it in to keep from landing flat.

As far as angle, I've always went pretty much straight up and straight down. It's okay, but I wish I would have learned carving a bit more. It looks way better, and if you carve and get good air, tricks seem to be a little easier to do.

Bottom line, it's all practice and feel. Just progress at a rate that's comfortable for you.

JustinCarter

JustinCarter

airing out...horrifying! post #13
I am probably one of the worst park riders you have ever seen, i get to ride a real park about 3 times a year. And i have never ever hit my front airing, granted i get like a foot above coping. I do those hit my back a shit load and go over the bars ahah.

T

TrevorH

airing out...horrifying! post #14
well if this helps.
whenever i get a chance to ride a quarter. i always went staight and 180d and over rotated so my foot slipped off.
so dont come back down completly straight, but at just a real little angle.

Creepozoid

Creepozoid

airing out...horrifying! post #15
Dont worry about clipping the front wheel, its almost impossible. Youre much more likely to drift away from the ramp and land lower down the transition the faster you go on a steeper ramp. On anything lower than 6 feet you may clip the back a little on re-entry

ColourOfMoney

ColourOfMoney

airing out...horrifying! post #16
yeah, i think you just need some balls ay man, not eing mean or anything but like seriously, what can happen?? like fair euongh if you were getting 8 foot air outta them but clearly your not, so yeah.

and you wont hit the coping and go over the hanggers. lean back into the ramp and that will help alot with the air.

JamiefromCov

JamiefromCov

airing out...horrifying! post #17
I was scared of doing it but my mates were egging me to go fast at it.......I found that it's alot easier the faster you go, also I think its easuer when i go for distance not height.

ConeMan

ConeMan

airing out...horrifying! post #18
The first quarter I ever aired was a nine foot almost vert quarter. I just rode really fast at it and turned in the air. Soon I could air everything. For non-vert, shorter quarters, you have to pull up and back, then look the way you want to go and shove the bike back into the transition. I've never clipped with my front wheel, but I have cased with my back wheel a few times and I just rode it like a disaster.

X

XboxKid

airing out...horrifying! post #19
Yeah i tryed to air ages ago, and back wheel clipped went straight over the bars:(

E

emoment rider

airing out...horrifying! post #20
try jumping out of the quater onto the landing then you will get more used to it/more confidence.

DONT WHIP YOUR BACK

New Topics