Advice on Wheel/Hub problem

• Discuss Advice on Wheel/Hub problem in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey everyone, I have a old (2002 maybe) DK General Lee bike frame with these redline rims that are older than the frame. The wheels used to be on... ...
D

deboM3

Advice on Wheel/Hub problem post #1
Hey everyone,

I have a old (2002 maybe) DK General Lee bike frame with these redline rims that are older than the frame. The wheels used to be on my previous bike that didnt have 14mm axles, so the 14mm axles on the wheels were slotted to fit. Long story short, the slotted axles are bent, stripped, and well slotted.I would like to replace them with unslotted new axles.

Heres some pics just for fun.

So heres my dilema, I cannot find the axles anywhere. I had them sent out to redline, and i guess they only have them slotted and not unslotted. Does anyone know anyplace to find these axles? Im guessing that im not going to be able to find them. So what should i do? Should I just try to find some used hubs and use the same rims? Or should I get new hubs and wheels and ditch the ones on the bike completely.

Where can I find some 14mm 48 spoke hubs that are good quality and say under 50 bucks?

Except for the occasional stair set, the bike is now used for a commuter, but i would still like to have quality parts on it.

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long post...

sixdegrees

sixdegrees

Advice on Wheel/Hub problem post #2
Did it have sealed beaings in it?

If so then you may be able to find an axle with sealed bearings that have the same outer dimensions as the ones the hub came.

If you know the bearings number you can find other bearings with the same outer dimensions (daimeter and thickness) and then look to see which axle are a potential fit.

If not it might be a custom job...... ie steel bar, threaded ends, and some bearings that meet the ID and OD measurements.

D

deboM3

Advice on Wheel/Hub problem post #3
Yes they do have sealed bearings. I was thinking about just finding another axle that was too big, and then turning it down at the machine shop at the school i go to. I dont know where i would start though to find an axle that would work though...

The axle diameter is not uniform. In the middle it is, but then as it goes outward towards each end of the axle it tapers outward. Then it goes back down to a smaller diameter where the bearings sit.

I have no idea if that made sense...

Thanks for the help

sixdegrees

sixdegrees

Advice on Wheel/Hub problem post #4
Yes they do have sealed bearings. I was thinking about just finding another axle that was too big, and then turning it down at the machine shop at the school i go to. I dont know where i would start though to find an axle that would work though...

The axle diameter is not uniform. In the middle it is, but then as it goes outward towards each end of the axle it tapers outward. Then it goes back down to a smaller diameter where the bearings sit.

I have no idea if that made sense...

Thanks for the help
Most sealed axle are not uniform. Have you got a pic of the axle, side on. If so I may be able to tell if there is a similar axle out there, ie Primo, Profile, etc.

:)

D

deboM3

Advice on Wheel/Hub problem post #5
cool thanks, ill get it out of my car asap and take a picture.

D

deboM3

Advice on Wheel/Hub problem post #6
I dont have a picture but I was able to find the axle today at my old bike shop.

Thanks again for the help

Levimoody

Levimoody

Advice on Wheel/Hub problem post #7
3 Problems.
1.Redline
2.Alum Rim (will bend like crazy)
3.Redline

I would say go buy some new new wheels.Try maybe Alex set.It is $140 but...

J

jawn

Advice on Wheel/Hub problem post #8
Not only is Redline not that bad, particularly old Redline, but all decent rims are aluminium, only cheap/department store bikes have steel rims.

D

deboM3

Advice on Wheel/Hub problem post #9
Maybe I got ripped, but 5 years ago those rims were not cheap. The rims are made by alex and are tripple walled i think (maybe only double).

I went thrugh rims left and right before I got these. Ive always been a big guy (over 180, 6' tall) and these were the first rims that I have never bent. For my riding style now, 20 dollars on an axle was a no brainer fix. I just had a hell of a time finding that axle...

S

Snake Lizard

Advice on Wheel/Hub problem post #10

New Topics