a little OT but i need help

• Discuss a little OT but i need help in the Technology Corner forum in area BMX-Forum Community - more stuff; ok so tomarrow im going out with my d40 to shoot skateboarding the spots were going to are under roof but not indoors and i dont have an off camera... ...
madmax523

madmax523

a little OT but i need help post #1
ok so tomarrow im going out with my d40 to shoot skateboarding the spots were going to are under roof but not indoors and i dont have an off camera flash should i be ok? im still new to this guys lol

and also does anyone have any advice for shooting skateboarding/bmx all ive gotten to shoot so far with my camera was a few motocross events and some stills of my bike and stuff

any help is greatly appretiated

codeblack

codeblack

a little OT but i need help post #2
What's more important is to GET the shot, compared to getting it perfectly sharp, clear, and free of noise. You can use noise ninja or something similar to clean it up after.. but if it's shitty and blurry to begin with.. not much sense in going out..

What I would recommend.. is..

Shoot wide open. Aperture priority mode. f/3.5-5.6 depending on your zoom range (I assume you have a kit lens) at ISO 400, 600, or 800. Whichever allows you speeds of 180/s or more.

If you can swing it, use your flash - maybe take a piece of tissue paper and tape it over the flash itself to diffuse it, allowing some softer light so it isn't so harsh. If you can make the flash work - keep the wide open - drop the ISO to whatever still allows you a fast shutter speed - and go nuts.

I hope that helps. Practice a little before hand with some friends - before you head out.. Make sure your battery is fully charged, and keep your head up - get close - and get some dope shit.

And don't be afraid of getting dirty to get the shot as well. Just don't hurt your Nikon.

madmax523

madmax523

a little OT but i need help post #3
What's more important is to GET the shot, compared to getting it perfectly sharp, clear, and free of noise. You can use noise ninja or something similar to clean it up after.. but if it's shitty and blurry to begin with.. not much sense in going out..

What I would recommend.. is..

Shoot wide open. Aperture priority mode. f/3.5-5.6 depending on your zoom range (I assume you have a kit lens) at ISO 400, 600, or 800. Whichever allows you speeds of 180/s or more.

If you can swing it, use your flash - maybe take a piece of tissue paper and tape it over the flash itself to diffuse it, allowing some softer light so it isn't so harsh. If you can make the flash work - keep the wide open - drop the ISO to whatever still allows you a fast shutter speed - and go nuts.

I hope that helps. Practice a little before hand with some friends - before you head out.. Make sure your battery is fully charged, and keep your head up - get close - and get some dope shit.

And don't be afraid of getting dirty to get the shot as well. Just don't hurt your Nikon.
thanks so much man ill write that down and keep it at hand and belive me i can get dirty for a shot i layed in the dirt for a half hour getting roosted to hell and back to get a sweet shot at steel city mx this year

codeblack

codeblack

a little OT but i need help post #4
D40's have aperture mode, I'm pretty sure.. Set it to "A" and wind the wheel all the way till it's at it's smallest number (3.5 commonly) and leave it alone. Aperture priority will set your shutter speed to match your aperture, so if it's too light it'll bring the speed up - and if it's dark it'll bring it back down.

Don't crank your ISO to anything above 800, the D40 is a great high ISO camera - but there is still a lot of noise at those high levels.. Leave it mid range and use a flash if you have to.

I would also advise shooting RAW if you have photoshop/another program to do basic post processing on your shots.. Raw allows you to do colour corrections etc. without losing a lot of quality..

Anything else you need a hand with? PM me in the future or add me to MSN - I'm always down for camera chat.

... Unless it's a canon shooter - then you can slag off ;)

madmax523

madmax523

a little OT but i need help post #5
dude, i love you!

codeblack

codeblack

a little OT but i need help post #6
I love you too man.

.. Can we cuddle ? =)

RossKnight

RossKnight

a little OT but i need help post #7