A few problems...

• Discuss A few problems... in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Ok, i just got a light my fire and ody compatible (dunno the brand) 9t driver and quickly tried to build it up but ran into a few problems. Its late... ...
clicked

clicked

A few problems... post #1
Ok, i just got a light my fire and ody compatible (dunno the brand) 9t driver and quickly tried to build it up but ran into a few problems. Its late and ive given up for today so i thought i might ask you guys.

1. Ghostpedalling. Even though i leave a space inbetween the locknut and driver, it somehow manages to ghostpedal when i tighten my back tyre. Is the rubber seal everyone talks about removing the one next to the pawls & springs? I might try removing it. Any other suggestions?

2. Spanish bb wont fit flush into the frame. Its sticking out about 3-4mm. I tried normally hammering it in, sanding excess paint in the bb and tightening my cranks to push it in.

3. Headset. Its pretty loose even though I tightened it. The spacer that sits on the frame is stripping. Should i just buy a new spacer cause it may be the uneveness from the stripping thats causing it to be loose. Im running an impact which i think should be ok? The top bearing sits above the frame.. is this a problem? cause my previous frame didnt do this from memory.

Hope that all made some sort of sense. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

sixdegrees

sixdegrees

A few problems... post #2
Ok, i just got a light my fire and ody compatible (dunno the brand) 9t driver and quickly tried to build it up but ran into a few problems. Its late and ive given up for today so i thought i might ask you guys.

1. Ghostpedalling. Even though i leave a space inbetween the locknut and driver, it somehow manages to ghostpedal when i tighten my back tyre. Is the rubber seal everyone talks about removing the one next to the pawls & springs? I might try removing it. Any other suggestions?

I don't recommend this, and it should stop g/pedalling in a few weeks

2. Spanish bb wont fit flush into the frame. Its sticking out about 3-4mm. I tried normally hammering it in, sanding excess paint in the bb and tightening my cranks to push it in.

Did you put the spacer tube in? If so its too long and you need a shorter one, or cut it down.

3. Headset. Its pretty loose even though I tightened it. The spacer that sits on the frame is stripping. Should i just buy a new spacer cause it may be the uneveness from the stripping thats causing it to be loose. Im running an impact which i think should be ok? The top bearing sits above the frame.. is this a problem? cause my previous frame didnt do this from memory.

Does you compression bolt have any amount of it go down into the headset? Does it touch to top of the forks?

Hope that all made some sort of sense. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

clicked

clicked

A few problems... post #3
Thanks for the reply. So the ghostpedalling will go away? Cause its pretty bad. when you spin the cranks, it feels the same going backwards as it is going forwards.

Theres no spacer in the bb.

Compression bolt doesnt touch the forks. If i tighten the headset like i usually do, its really tight and super hard to turn the bars.

??

sixdegrees

sixdegrees

A few problems... post #4
Thanks for the reply. So the ghostpedalling will go away? Cause its pretty bad. when you spin the cranks, it feels the same going backwards as it is going forwards.

Yes, it should go away as the seal loosens up. You could try and grease the seal.

Theres no spacer in the bb - then they should go all the way in, plus you really do want that spacer in there. You might need to use a block of wood. Take it all apart and check the depth of the inner flange in the BB where tghe bearing will rest up against. It should be the same thickness as the bearing (on each side)

Compression bolt doesnt touch the forks. If i tighten the headset like i usually do, its really tight and super hard to turn the bars.

Something is missing then.....

??

ATP

ATP

A few problems... post #5
Sixdegrees is right about the hub, it SHOULD break itself in shortly, ifnot, then reconsult on here.

Thebearings should sit flush in the shell, ifyou have no spacer in between (not good, those do a lot of good) then either the bearings are somewhat not evenly pressed in, causing themto be slightly angled in the shell, which ould make it so they wont go in any farther, or that those frames are just like that, I've seen frames like that, it is not too uncommon.

clicked

clicked

A few problems... post #6
thanks sixdegrees and atp. everything just fell into place this morning.

Took the compression ring and headset top cover off my race bike, put bearing-sized spacers on my cranks and tightened my cranks and the bearing is flush now and the ghostpedalling suddenly stopped. Everythings so tight, just how i like it. :)

New Topics