7K rim.......weak?

• Discuss 7K rim.......weak? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; From Odyssey's daily word: "Please keep in mind that the Seven K rim is a double wall rim and is NOT stronger than the triple wall Hazard Lites like... ...
  • Tags bmx gt
fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

7K rim.......weak? post #1
From Odyssey's daily word:

"Please keep in mind that the Seven K rim is a double wall rim and is NOT stronger than the triple wall Hazard Lites like some people may think. If you are bending Hazard Lites, or other comparable rims, the DOUBLE WALL Seven K rim will not hold up to your style of riding."

Todd from Albes told me that they are lighter and stronger. I am disappointed Todd. :(

Should I still get these rims or just stick to the Hazard Lites? I am a smooth rider for the most but can be brutal at times.

R

rocket

7K rim.......weak? post #2
i have hazard lites. even if i was rich, i wouldnt buy the 7k rims. if Odyssey gave me a free set every time i bent one then i might use them...otherwise i dont care for them. way over priced and there more like a strong racing rim. i say stick with the lites.

F

federal_rider12

7K rim.......weak? post #3
7ks r hazard lites without the internal walls for strength it is just made to be lighter so i wouldnt go with hazard lites either, but thats me, but out of both of those go with the hazard lites, 7ks should be weaker

L

leon_luxton

7K rim.......weak? post #4
well if you have ody hazards at the moment KEEP THEM..i would do anything to have a nice ody wheelset..just not the 7K's..dont sound sny good to me and strenght is more important then weight

M

Mr_Shrapnel

7K rim.......weak? post #5
strength is a bit of a *** word, especially in BMX, because there are many different types of strength, for example you could just say a frame is STRONG but does that mean that it will hold up well against abortion? maybe not. that is the case the 7k rims, in some areas they WILL be stronger, that's only logical due to the fact they are made from 7000 type aluminium, so as far as abrasion damage they will hold up much longer than the lites. also 7000 is much "harder" meaning that it will resist indentation much better than the lites, its also technically more resistant to torsion forces, meaning that it will resist bending which should in turn mean less wheel truing.

there are many other areas which I could go in to, but the bottom line is that the 7k's SHOULD be stronger than the lites in many ways, but due to the fact that odyssey have removed the centre section of the rim, this does create a possible weakness that may exhibit some structural problem in the future. I guess odyssey was hoping that the 7000 would counter this problem so they could make the rim lighter, and it may well have done, but i would need to see test data to prove that. time will tell i guess.

I believe that odyssey should have simply made the hazard lite rim out of 7000 and left the design as it is, rather than lose a tiny amount of weight.

bottom line is that the 7k will be stronger than the lite, and I guess in theory be equally if not stronger than the lite structurally, but theories have a habit of going wrong so......

M

Mr_Shrapnel

7K rim.......weak? post #6
oh but if you have a hazard lit at the moment and it is fine, there is not point in just buying the 7k for the hell of it, or any other rim for that matter.

I

infantry43RIDER

7K rim.......weak? post #7
definitly do not ride a 7k in the back...that is my opinion.
keep on riding your hazard lite in the rear and if you really want a 7k ride that shit in the front.

im not a fan of the 7k...i don't think it was a very good idea from odyssey personally...but it does seem to be selling so yea.

D

DezXc

7K rim.......weak? post #8
im running a 7k in front at the moment, had it in for a couple of days

no problems so far... but i can run a single wall in the front with no problems too... im only 100lbs

O

oibmxpunx

7K rim.......weak? post #9
icerocket said:
i have hazard lites. even if i was rich, i wouldnt buy the 7k rims. if Odyssey gave me a free set every time i bent one then i might use them...otherwise i dont care for them. way over priced and there more like a strong racing rim. i say stick with the lites.
dude where talking about the 7k not the duralectra. the 7k is not over priced

hazard light $50
7k $65
duralectra $85

its a good rim if your a smooth rider but it can take hard hits the duralectra is over priced i dont know whats up with that i would not pay that much just to have a havard light in black

R

rocket

7K rim.......weak? post #10
oibmxpunx said:
icerocket said:
oibmxpunx wrote:
dude where talking about the 7k not the duralectra. the 7k is not over priced

hazard light $50
7k $65
duralectra $85
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exactly- $65 for any rim is not only over priced, its ridiculous! i dont think any rim is worth more than $50 ......its just a rip off.
and the 7K would taco in a second with my "smooth riding". :wink:
A guy at Albes told me that his friend bent his the second day he had them....and then said "but you didnt hear it from me"... i dont know if he was just hating on them or covering his ass....either way if your gonna street or dirt ride then stick to whats already been proven untill something has proved otherwise.

F

FT rider

7K rim.......weak? post #11
theyr crap rims!or the old ones are if u look at the review in www.bmx-test.com the guy says they suk, but theres a guy who works at odyssey who says they are redoing them as they wernt made correct, so any one with the old shitty ones can send em bak for a nu free one

T

Trimix

7K rim.......weak? post #12
fenixbykeco said:
From Odyssey's daily word:

"Please keep in mind that the Seven K rim is a double wall rim and is NOT stronger than the triple wall Hazard Lites like some people may think. If you are bending Hazard Lites, or other comparable rims, the DOUBLE WALL Seven K rim will not hold up to your style of riding."

Todd from Albes told me that they are lighter and stronger. I am disappointed Todd. :(

Should I still get these rims or just stick to the Hazard Lites? I am a smooth rider for the most but can be brutal at times.
Dude - I almost bought them, but decided against if for this very reason. Unless you set the bike down EVERY TIME like it is on feathers, I would not.

L

LuMpY

7K rim.......weak? post #13
If you're going through hazz lites just get some regular hazzards. They are about twice as thick.

I

infantry43RIDER

7K rim.......weak? post #14
they don't make regualar hazards anymore.

im sure if you wanted them you could get them though.

F

federal_rider12

7K rim.......weak? post #15
LuMpY said:
If you're going through hazz lites just get some regular hazzards. They are about twice as thick.
not twice as thick then hazards lites or they would be quadrapul walls they r 1/2 thicker then the hazard lites

D

Deliciouspeed

7K rim.......weak? post #16
It's weaker than a hazard lite. Don't bother. I can't believe they've stopped making the standard hazards either.

I

infantry43RIDER

7K rim.......weak? post #17
i know why.
everyone was buying the hazard lites because they are just as strong as the orginals but....hmm are lighter...just what everyone needs.

D

Deliciouspeed

7K rim.......weak? post #18
The lites are not just as strong as the standard-No way. But they are quite strong.

I

infantry43RIDER

7K rim.......weak? post #19
yea..well good and strong enough to replace the orginals...lets just put it that way.

D

Deliciouspeed

7K rim.......weak? post #20
Um, sorry were you running them. Didn't mean to hurt the ole feelings.
Wasen't putting down the product. But I like a rim I can fit and forget, I've not found the lite to be that rim for me and my style of riding-it's all relative anyway. Just as there is no "best" rim-and never will be.

New Topics