48 to 36 spokes

• Discuss 48 to 36 spokes in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Which spokes do I need to take out of my 48h wheel to make it 36h and is this a good idea or not? ...
The Snowman

The Snowman

48 to 36 spokes post #1
Which spokes do I need to take out of my 48h wheel to make it 36h and is this a good idea or not?

J

jawn

48 to 36 spokes post #2
Bad idea.

The Snowman

The Snowman

48 to 36 spokes post #3
Why?

K

Karl H. Marx

48 to 36 spokes post #4
Every 4th spoke.

But its a bad idea.

K

Kirbs

48 to 36 spokes post #5
I didn't think you could do it.
Just leave it.

J

jawn

48 to 36 spokes post #6
It's a bad idea because spokes are made to work in groups of 4. Left inner, left outer, right inner, right outer. Take one out, and the spoke tension can't be uniform anymore, it has to compensate. The tighter spokes will do all the work, resulting in a wheel that's even weaker than a 36h wheel proper.

F

frightmare

48 to 36 spokes post #7
are you doing this just to try and save weight? *forehead slap* do you think 10 spokes weight THAT much?
its not safe as jawn pointed out, if ya want 36 spokes then build a wheelset thats ment to run 36 spokes.

The Snowman

The Snowman

48 to 36 spokes post #8
are you doing this just to try and save weight? *forehead slap* do you think 10 spokes weight THAT much?
its not safe as jawn pointed out, if ya want 36 spokes then build a wheelset thats ment to run 36 spokes.
No, because:
A.) I'm running 36 in the back and I think it looks tacky.
B.) It's more of a pain in the *** to put air into the tube.

And now that I know how much weaker it would be, I won't be doing it anymore.

JohnW

JohnW

48 to 36 spokes post #9
Trade it with someone who has a 36h wheel.

JohnW

JohnW

48 to 36 spokes post #10
36 spokes are really meant for racing.

If you're jumping or doing any tricks on the bike, best stick to 48
Almost everyone rides 36h in the front and rear and it generally holds up. I do not want to run it in the rear though, I stick with 48h. 36 up front is generally fine, as long as the hub and rim were both made for it. Using 48h hubs and rims with 36 spokes is extremely weak.

32h is definately for racing, but Proper is releasing a 32h front wheel for park/street/dirt which is stupid...

johnuk

johnuk

48 to 36 spokes post #11
Almost everyone rides 36h in the front and rear and it generally holds up. I do not want to run it in the rear though, I stick with 48h. 36 up front is generally fine, as long as the hub and rim were both made for it. Using 48h hubs and rims with 36 spokes is extremely weak.

32h is definately for racing, but Proper is releasing a 32h front wheel for park/street/dirt which is stupid...
Sorry, I'm not concentrating - post deleted to avoid confusing things. Thanks for correcting

JohnW

JohnW

48 to 36 spokes post #12
Sorry, I'm not concentrating - post deleted to avoid confusing things. Thanks for correcting
You could've edited it, now it looks like I double posted. :p

johnuk

johnuk

48 to 36 spokes post #13
You could've edited it, now it looks like I double posted. :p
I thought it would look confusing or also like a double post if I did that. But this is getting pretty confusing all on it's own - I kind of like the irony. 8)

New Topics