36t chain wheel...

• Discuss 36t chain wheel... in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; i've seen alot of ppl using a 36t sprocket for street and i was wondering wut difference does it make if you are using a 44t chain wheel...the guy at... ...
  • Tags street
K

Kaps

36t chain wheel... post #1
i've seen alot of ppl using a 36t sprocket for street and i was wondering wut difference does it make if you are using a 44t chain wheel...the guy at my local bmx shop told me to get a 43t one...DUNNO

E

evanc

36t chain wheel... post #2
If you go from 44 to 36 without changing your freewheel size, you will have to pedal a lot and not go anywhere fast. To see what I'm saying, get on a mountain bike. In the lowest gear, it's similar to 36-16. A middle gear would represent the average, or 44-16 like you run now. A high gear would be 44-13. If you want to go to 36, you need a cassette.

K

Kaps

36t chain wheel... post #3
so you're sayin that if i have a 36t sprocket then i have to pedal more to get farther?

E

evanc

36t chain wheel... post #4
Exactly. For each rotation of your cranks, your wheel will make less revolutions, thus carrying you a shorter distance.

K

Kaps

36t chain wheel... post #5
that blows! so wut would you suggest for street?

A

aitkenstyle

36t chain wheel... post #6
i reccomend the 30 - 11 gearing but you must own a cassette hub and i doubt anyone here does besides me.

V

Van_Homan

36t chain wheel... post #7
34 tooth sprockets r way better lower the teeth= easier it is 2 pedal.. but just make sure u get a new lower gear freewheel with it 2i dont know all the exact ratios..

E

evanc

36t chain wheel... post #8
Van_Homan said:
34 tooth sprockets r way better lower the teeth= easier it is 2 pedal.. but just make sure u get a new lower gear freewheel with it 2i dont know all the exact ratios..
If you're unsure on a subject, don't advise on it.

Anyway, I'd recommend 39-16 is the lowest you can go. That will be fairly easy, with a decent speed gearing as well. Also the sprocket will be nice and tucked out of the way.

O

oibmxpunx

36t chain wheel... post #9
i run 39-14 i like it more than 44-16

D

DezXc

36t chain wheel... post #10
i run 36 - 16 and im not complaining, it grows on ya

E

evanc

36t chain wheel... post #11
holy eww. 36-16 = f*cking lose.

D

DezXc

36t chain wheel... post #12
noooo, 36 - 16 = awesome

since im used to that i might move down to 30 - 14

I

infantry43RIDER

36t chain wheel... post #14
i run a 36/16

i love it

B

Bailer

36t chain wheel... post #15
hmmm i'm running 44-16, pretty good, little harder to pedal, but good for getting to places, there aint that many things near me to do so i have to cycle to them

New Topics