2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far?

• Discuss 2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; My name's Miguel Caron, but I kinda picked up the nickname Van Douchebag (Among other nicknames like "Jesus", "Pigeon", and "L'Anglais). I'm 17... ...
  • Tags bmx jump
V

Van Douchebag

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #1
My name's Miguel Caron, but I kinda picked up the nickname Van Douchebag (Among other nicknames like "Jesus", "Pigeon", and "L'Anglais).

I'm 17 years old (18 in February), and I live in Quebec, in Canada.

In March 2003, I bought my first BMX - a 2003 Redline Slash.

The BMX season is fairly short where I live, so by mid-September, it's too cold to ride.

Last year, I learned the following tricks:

The Big Duhs
Endo
Ollie
Bunny-Hop
Manual

Tail-Whip (Flat-land version)
Fast Plant
Foot Plant
180 (I couldn't stick my 360s properly)
Fakie
50-50
Smith
Feeble
No-Hander

Because I ain't exactly all brains about this (And because I don't want to look like a dork in front of my biking buddies), am I doing alright for someone who's been BMXing as long as I have?

I

infantry43RIDER

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #2
dude...really don't worry about how you are doing.
just ride seriously...thats all you have to worry about...you will get good if you just stick with it.

S

sentaafEQpovar

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #3
hey,m u got a pretty good bag of tricks, if olli and bhop are diff things, then im confused about what an ollie is

and the no handers... off a jump?

whats a fastplant.. im noob too

V

Van Douchebag

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #4
sentaafEQpovar said:
hey,m u got a pretty good bag of tricks, if olli and bhop are diff things, then im confused about what an ollie is

and the no handers... off a jump?

whats a fastplant.. im noob too
A bunny-hop is different from Ollies in that it's meant to clear tall objects. It's also performed differently.

No Handers over Pyramid

A Fastplant is similar to a Foot Plant; only the foot touches the ground briefly.

F

federal_rider12

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #5
hey i know people who just jump stuff and its cool hell sometimes i dont like doin tricks i just like to jump and flow through stuff or do gaps just as long as u aint a faker, like some people on here and same with other forums, there should be a forum where u can only join if u got a homemade vid of u ridin

L

leon_luxton

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #6
yeah good few tricks ya can do there,well done,so how did ya get these nicknames? are ya from the bike guide forums cos there was some1 else calle van on there just wondering if its you? cos like every1 always hated you for some reason,lol.
leon

F

FOL

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #7
Odd that you didn't learn the faceplant yet :lol:

M

Mr_Shrapnel

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #8
like someone said before, it does not matte what you can and cant do, example one of my friends has been riding about 6 years, and he can really do a great deal of stuff, BUT he has got some really good style, flow, and can ride pretty much anything, and more importantly he loves bmx. progress at you own level, and never think that you SHOULD be at a certain level by a set time period.

but to actually answer your question, i would have to say that yeah, from march 2003, that's some pretty good progression, i don't think i could do no handers and 50-50's after less than one year of riding. just make sure you work on style and flow too though...well that my opinion, i guess someone else may think differently.

F

federal_rider12

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #9
FOL said:
Odd that you didn't learn the faceplant yet :lol:
i learned that when i was 5 years old road with my eyes closed and hit a curb and flipped right on my face damn when i was 5 i got smashed by 200lbs of wood panelin(was climbin on it and fell back) and then another day i road with my eyes closed and hit a parked car and left a surprise in the bumber and hood(oh that one looked good since my head hit it) for the owner :wink: and then road home as fast as i could

I

infantry43RIDER

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #10
federal_rider12 said:
hey i know people who just jump stuff and its cool hell sometimes i dont like doin tricks i just like to jump and flow through stuff or do gaps just as long as u aint a faker, like some people on here and same with other forums, there should be a forum where u can only join if u got a homemade vid of u ridin
damn...i wouldn't be able to get into any forums if that homemade vid thing is the case...im usually the one behind the camera.

V

Van Douchebag

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #11
leon_luxton said:
yeah good few tricks ya can do there,well done,so how did ya get these nicknames? are ya from the bike guide forums cos there was some1 else calle van on there just wondering if its you? cos like every1 always hated you for some reason,lol.
leon
Van Douchebag is a nickname of man because I created a cartoon character based on myself and I named him that.

Jesus is what some young'uns named me because one time I said (In french) "I'm Jesus because I can fly in the air" before I cleared a pyramid.

Pigeon is from 4 years ago because I made a lot of "coo-coo" sounds

L'Anglais is because I'm English and I live in a French place so they nicknamed me that (L'Anglais translates out to "The English Person")

This is the first BMX forum I've ever joined, so I'm not that other Van.
I usually hang around Newgrounds.com and it's related sites.

F

FOL

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #12
hella <bleep> so many names, so many stories and we don't even know your undercover names.... j/k

anyway I shouldn't get offtopic *slaps myself*

ontopic: you are doing great if you are having fun...you got a fair amount of tricks there, so you probably have enough variety to play around and have fun with :)

E

EPMD

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #13
Yeah i was reading somewhere and i forget if it was a forum or a story or something but sorry if its your story but ill just tell it

Some guys just biked for the fun of it and shit.. they had this really really shit guy who couldn't do 1 foot drops, and little jumps but they went out and biked just for the fun of it cause they had fun just being with there friends and hanging around them and this guy would do really funny dumb things so i guess...

It doesn't really matter if your sponsored or you can do frigging no handed backflips and such..

but the main point is if you have your fun in doing it and if you aren't.. it isn't the sport for you

F

federal_rider12

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #14
FOL said:
hella <bleep> so many names, so many stories and we don't even know your undercover names.... j/k

anyway I shouldn't get offtopic *slaps myself*

ontopic: you are doing great if you are having fun...you got a fair amount of tricks there, so you probably have enough variety to play around and have fun with :)
hey FOL my nickname is a short story and easy to follow my nickname is Crash and its b/c i crash everytime i ride

RuLe

RuLe

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #15
if i counted the years i biked you would think i suck because i never started doing anything like "good tricks" tell 2003. 1999 was my beginning year i had a GT permormer and i broke it fast but all i did with that bike was dirt jump and learn flatgroudn barspins, i stoped biking 2000 untill 2001 came around i started up again and learned 1 handers off dirt jumps, super small no handers :) , no footer 1 handers, no footers, switch hander, wheelies, then that say year stoped and when skating and didnt bike untell liek november in 2002 and then thats when i got into it again and i think that year was just fun and then in the middle fo 2003 i started gridning, doing manualls, endos, double peg stalls, pro hop as high as 3 stairs. and i havent stoped biking since like around november 2002 , Since i took a big big time off i cant do no footers anymore because i only liked street to start off with anyways. Anyways i can do some stuff but its not big stuff

1 handed Endos
200+ feet manualls (learning how to manuall 180)
180 rollouts 180 back
(super close to 360s flatground)
Barspins (dont do them anymore got boring)
Feebles
Pro hop manualls (can do them but not great)
Foot plants
Double peg stalls
BunnyHop as high as the height of the tires
Tailwhip Flatland (got no front brakes anymore so i cant :()
X up's (dirt)
1 handers (dirt)
1 footers (dirt)
X up 1 footer (dirt)

Most of that stuff is easy shit to do. only things i like doing are

180 rollouts
long manualls
x ups
1 handers
1 footer x up's
feebles
pro hop manualls
360 bunyhop (as soon as i land it)

I

infantry43RIDER

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #16
hey rule...just stick your foot in the fork and then you can still do those flatland tailwhips.

RuLe

RuLe

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #17
its alright. those arent anything i like to do anyways

I

infantry43RIDER

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #18
damn dude they are fun as hell...you should really try it cause you can do them anywhere.

F

FOL

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #19
hehe that you like them doesn't men everyone does ;)

I

infantry43RIDER

2003 was my first year riding. Am I doing good so far? post #20
i know that.
im not making him do it...i just find them fun to do anywhere.

New Topics