1999 Specialized Fatboy Hemi MX Cranks and Headset

• Discuss 1999 Specialized Fatboy Hemi MX Cranks and Headset in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I aquirred a 1999 Specialized Fatboy Hemi MX from my nephew. The bike was way to big for him and he broke the freewheel. Everything is in good... ...
okcraider

okcraider

1999 Specialized Fatboy Hemi MX Cranks and Headset post #1
I aquirred a 1999 Specialized Fatboy Hemi MX from my nephew. The bike was way to big for him and he broke the freewheel. Everything is in good condition, welds on the frame are good, but most of the bearings have been neglected of grease. After removing the cranks and bottom bracket the only thing that seems to be salvageable are the crank arms which are rather beefy and I would like to reuse them.

1. The crank arms are made by T.H Industries and have Specialized stamps. They use an 8 spline spindle with pinch bolt. What measurement should be taken from the splindle to get its diameter? Do you measure the outside of the spindle splines or measure the diameter of the spindle up to where the splines start? The spindle is of the two piece variety and has like three different diameters running the length of it. If all possible I would like to get the right size spindle and three piece bottom bracket to use with these arms.

2. Sealed vs Unsealed Headsets. If I regulary overhaul an unsealed headset would it last as long as a sealed headset? I only get to ride like a couple days out of the month so it isn't like my bike is getting seriously abused.

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

1999 Specialized Fatboy Hemi MX Cranks and Headset post #2
Pictures of the cranks would help but you would measure just past where the splines end. IMHO an unsealed would be fine I used to run an unsealed gorilla cup still works great today, you may have a bit more maintenance on one but that's half the fun.

okcraider

okcraider

1999 Specialized Fatboy Hemi MX Cranks and Headset post #3
Here is a picture of the cranks and spindle minus the bottom bracket.
Looks like the overall spindle length is 145mm and the diameter of the spindle is 19mm.

1. So could I just purchase a bottom bracket to use with this spindle and cranks or do I need to also get a new spindle specific to a new bottom bracket? The current bottom bracket's washers, bearings, and cups are too worn to reuse.

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

1999 Specialized Fatboy Hemi MX Cranks and Headset post #4
looks like it's unsealed to me I don't know if you'll be able to get a new BB for those cranks might want to ask you local bike shop about that one but I'm pretty sure you'll need a new set.

563poverty

563poverty

1999 Specialized Fatboy Hemi MX Cranks and Headset post #5
yes just pick up a new unsealed bottom bracket with cups and reuse the spindle and for the headset dont waste the money on a sealed one unsealed are fine as long as you grease it good and keep up on taking care of it as usealed bearings take more up keep and arent waterproof like sealed ones

okcraider

okcraider

1999 Specialized Fatboy Hemi MX Cranks and Headset post #6
I was thinking of using the Poverty unsealed bottom bracket http://www.danscomp.com/455097.php?cat=PARTS.

Here a couple of extras shots of the bottom bracket assembled out of the bike. I thought someone might recognize the bottom bracket.

New Topics