16 and the aspect of a car is looming

• Discuss 16 and the aspect of a car is looming in the NBR - Not BMX Related forum in area BMX-Forum Community - more stuff; The truth is, I'm probably not going to have one for over several years (moving to the US for Uni and so probably won't afford a car there on my own... ...
philjay

philjay

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #1
The truth is, I'm probably not going to have one for over several years (moving to the US for Uni and so probably won't afford a car there on my own etc etc blah blah).

But, Im into car performance enhancement, not RICE, purely performance.

Now, I have no idea where to start, my knowledge of cars and engines is limeted so I was wondering if there's anywhere I can start, forum, blog, site w/e something where by the time I finish reading it and do some of my research I'll be able to know what to put on something like a civic to make it go fast. I don't want a site that will point me to a coke can exhaust that goes PRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOUT as you fart along the road...

Cheers :lol:

H4RDLander

H4RDLander

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #2
UNI? wers that..:roll:

philjay

philjay

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #3
Have a guess smarty pants..:roll:

Minitrix

Minitrix

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #4
College.

Levimoody

Levimoody

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #5
Try the Mazda Rx-7 3rd Gen...It runs from about 1-3k depending....Mine goes about 100 and it is 1989...They are nice cars for the price.

DislikesSkaters

DislikesSkaters

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #6
Try the Mazda Rx-7 3rd Gen...It runs from about 1-3k depending....Mine goes about 100 and it is 1989...They are nice cars for the price.
I believe he was asking where he can gain more knowledge about cars, not what car to buy:lol:

T

team haymaker

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #7
you can check out www.automotiveforums.com and just pick out whatever car your interested in then check out that forum. trucks are much more practical in my opinion, (plus it carries your bike much easier)
but yeah, vehicle specific forums are the best.
me i live on my truck clubs forum.........

philjay

philjay

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #8
you can check out www.automotiveforums.com and just pick out whatever car your interested in then check out that forum. trucks are much more practical in my opinion, (plus it carries your bike much easier)
but yeah, vehicle specific forums are the best.
me i live on my truck clubs forum.........
Ok thanks!

I'm more of a car person, not just because of gas prices but I just don't care about them I guess.

Superbeast

Superbeast

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #9
that is a good forum to check on
really all you have to do is search google for various auto help,
im guessing your not going to be starting with a complete motor swap or something.
if you have any questions just PM me and ill probably be able to answer it

MikeT

MikeT

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #10
A word of warning if you do any performance mods to your car, your insurance will want to know, and when you tell them, they'll do a pretty slick job of emptying your wallet :(

There is a lot of things you can do really. They range from things like ECU Chips ( 50 or so hp increase ) to something wild like 2 turbochargers ( upto 400hp increase! )

Obviously, at 17 you are an inexperienced driver and your insurance company will take a lot of cash for a faster car.

I'm 16 too, can't wait to drive ( I can drive, just not legally ;P )

Mike

Wildbill

Wildbill

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #11
Dont get an RX-7. For someone starting out w/o alot of money its a terrible choice. Yes its a nice car and for its small weight the roratary engine puts out alot of w.h.p. But expect to be rebuilding or buying a new engine if you use it other than normal easy driving. Rotary engines blow easily, my roomates friend had an RX7 for drifting but id start out with somthing simplar.

Get a civic, eclipse, supra(not last gen body, unless you got mad $$$), celica. Throw a JDM motor in it with a turbo kit. You will have a car that will cost you under 10k and prob alil over 5K depending on how much you get a used car for. Turbo kits generally run around $3k but it depends on what kit and what model car. It can vary to up to around $5k just for a kit.

Beanie

Beanie

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #12
Obviously, at 17 you are an inexperienced driver and your insurance company will take a lot of cash for a faster car.

I'm 16 too, can't wait to drive ( I can drive, just not legally ;P )

Mike
i got my liscense when i was 18, im 19 in a few days, i got a warning for "wreckless driving" for doing a uturn in a wet dirt parking lot in the rain, gave it too much gas in 4lo and turned too sharp to turn around and left small turn marks.

i have a 4cylinder 105hp chevy s10 regular cab, my insurance is $107 or $170 a month cant remember what she said.... for a 6 cylinder 290hp truck extended cab.. it was $100 a month... they dont care what engine you have here is what my dad said.. cause i dont see how a 185hp less 2 cylinder less engined truck could cost more.

also, they rated my parents old chevy s10 crew cab red truck as a class 11 SPORTS CAR.. yes a 4 door truck as a sports car :roll:

also, your just about to turn 16? and you want a fast car already? dont do it, you havnt driven long enough chances are, your probably gonna try and street race like an idiot, and your probably going to wreck it or get hit and damage the car, first time drivers always do, i know i did, ripped my valance off climbing my truck up some rocks.. and almost hit a pole drifting completely sideways around a corner in the snow in a truck, and it got backed into at about 25mph, idiot peeled out in reverse to act cool, and my truck was parked in his path somehow.

the sensible thing, would be to make the car SAFE before making it fast. because when you roll it trying to top your car out, your 300hp engine isnt going to stop you and stop the roof from crushing your face in when it decides to buckle.

Last edited:
takeivy21

takeivy21

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #13
He was asking about performance related forums or sites, not advice on what to buy... You said that you were interested in making a civic fast and being that you dont have a lot of money probabaly an eg or ef will fall into your category. If you are looking for anything honda related check out http://www.honda-tech.com or check out http://www.turbocivic.com .Also depending on where you are in the US there are local forums with many educated people.

Superbeast

Superbeast

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #14
i say go grab a good old chevy truck, great to carry a bike in, reliable and its a chevy,
check with progressive on a free quote for how much it would be

philjay

philjay

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #15
Ok thanks guys!

punk_porcupine

punk_porcupine

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #16
Put simply, at 17 as a newly qualified driver you wont be able to afford much. As soon as you tell the insurance company you have modded a stock car then they will pretty much refuse insurance.

Eastern_Rider16

Eastern_Rider16

16 and the aspect of a car is looming post #17
If you wanna learn stuff and have a GREAT enviroment to do it in.

come to www.autoblender.com
We have everything for imports to old and new school muscle and some crotch rockets. Lots of knowledge and freindly people.

New Topics