14mm flat axle

• Discuss 14mm flat axle in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I got free rims and a fork from a friend and I was wondering where I can buy an unsealed 14mm flat axle online? It's a Specialized Wide Load flip flop... ...
D

dynodude

14mm flat axle post #1
I got free rims and a fork from a friend and I was wondering where I can buy an unsealed 14mm flat axle online? It's a Specialized Wide Load flip flop hub. My bike's only got 3/8 axle dropouts. Thanks

Will these work? I want it for the BACK flip flop hub. Mine's a Specialized but that's the only 14mm axle I found on danscomp
http://www.danscomp.com/439012.php?cat=PARTS

Last edited:
JoeyWinkle

JoeyWinkle

14mm flat axle post #2
Flat Axle?

D

dynodude

14mm flat axle post #3
JoeyWinkle

JoeyWinkle

14mm flat axle post #4
I've never seen them before...
sounds flatland-esque

PY

PY

14mm flat axle post #5
Never heard of it, i'm pretty sure it doesnt exist either as that completely defeats the object of a larger axle. Fewer threads would also mean less power to grip the fork too, a big nono.

JoeyWinkle

JoeyWinkle

14mm flat axle post #6
Maybe he's seen it cowboy'd somewhere......

08SubieWrx

08SubieWrx

14mm flat axle post #7
I've heard of flat axle's... But I guess they're kind of extinct now.. I used to see them when I used to ride like 4-5 years ago but haven't seen them recently.

D

dynodude

14mm flat axle post #8
Never heard of it, i'm pretty sure it doesnt exist either as that completely defeats the object of a larger axle. Fewer threads would also mean less power to grip the fork too, a big nono.
I'm talking about one for the frame dropout, but actually my old 3/8 fork only takes slotted 3/8 axles. That itself acts like a lock to help it stay in the fork.

jdan

jdan

14mm flat axle post #9
just buy a 14mm and get it cut. if you really want to.
its probibally just someones hackjob that you have seen.

D

dynodude

14mm flat axle post #10
just buy a 14mm and get it cut. if you really want to.
its probibally just someones hackjob that you have seen.
nah, it's professional, it's got threads all the way around and is really clean (if you cut it, it would flatten out)

AustinK

AustinK

14mm flat axle post #11
that would probably work.

EasternWallet

EasternWallet

14mm flat axle post #12
i used to have one.

Pickles

Pickles

14mm flat axle post #13
okay so first of all,theyre called SLOTTED AXLES

second of all,no that one you posted the link to WILL NOT work.

third,dans does not carry an axle that WILL work.

you can see the proof of concept here:
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3561856/1096790743643_hub_bsa_axles.jpg

finally,I can not find any slotted axles anywhere. What you want is a slotted axle that has threads throughout, that way the hardware will work from an unsealed hub.

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

14mm flat axle post #14
okay so first of all,theyre called SLOTTED AXLES

second of all,no that one you posted the link to WILL NOT work.

third,dans does not carry an axle that WILL work.

you can see the proof of concept here:
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3561856/1096790743643_hub_bsa_axles.jpg

finally,I can not find any slotted axles anywhere. What you want is a slotted axle that has threads throughout, that way the hardware will work from an unsealed hub.
^^ Correct I believe the only slotted axle dans sells is the one on my bike ATM for the Sun Barely Legal rim set. If you plan on grinding at all I highly recommend you don't run a 14mm slotted in the rear running them sideways in the rear means that the axle will basically be as weak as a 3/8 axle. Have you considered taking your frame to a machine shop to have the rear dropouts cut out?

mad082

mad082

14mm flat axle post #15
they are also called shaved axles. you should be able to get them from any half decent bike shop. if you go into a shop and they say that they can't get them, that means that they don't want to get them, not that they can't.

as for putting the rims in your frame, you have 2 options (neither that good). file the axles down or file the frame out to suit 14mm axles. if you file the axles down you have to be careful to do it evenly. and the same goes for the frame. otherwise the wheel won't sit straight.

i personally wouldn't run shaved axles on the rear. and would only file out the dropouts if there was plenty of dropout to do so.

D

dynodude

14mm flat axle post #16
thanks guys, I'm gonna get the dropout grinded so the axle will fit.

Pickles

Pickles

14mm flat axle post #17
2mm on the top and 2mm on the bottom,4mm extra space total. Measure it out,tape it up.

dont do 4mm on one side,then the wheel will be either raised or lowered in the dropout.

J

jawn

14mm flat axle post #18
It will have to be a bit more than 4mm, because smaller axles are 9 and a quarter or so (3/8"), not 10mm proper.

Slotted axles don't have the thread all the way around. They can't, because axle nuts must be round. They won't contact the flats and if they did, they couldn't turn.

Filing your dropouts or making a female axle is much better IMHO.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

14mm flat axle post #19
you are looking for Phat Jack hubs, made by Peregrine or Suzue, i can't remember who made them. they were 14mm sealed hubs with flattened/slotted 3/8" axles. they were very popular in that awkward puberty of bmx when everyone wanted 14mm axles and threadless headsets but few companies were making frames to facilitate these things.

i think my local shop has some that i can try to buy for you if you want.

New Topics